Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't recognize windows boot disk

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 accidentally

accidentally

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

My USB ports seem to be completely useless before starting windows.

My HDD capped out, and I got a new one. I'm trying to boot windows 8.1 64-bit (the version that came with it) and it doesn't recognize the USB stick. In fact whatever I put inot the USB ports, the bios remains blank under the USB options.

I've tried changing the settings-UEFI and CSM/legacy but no. I'm putting the drive in the USB 3.0 port, and the USB stick is A Kingston dte9 16gb. I've tried it on my other laptop and it boots windows, so I doubt that it is a problem from the USB drive itself. The bios really doesn't have many options, it's called insydeh20. My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite S50d-a.

If I don't solve this problem I'm likely going to scrap this computer and return the new SSHD I bought for it.

I would boot through the DVD drive but I threw it away a while ago after my pc wouldn't start with it. I also have an external DVD drive and a boot DVD but it all goes through the USB ports which don't seem to work at al..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

If Windows 8 was pre-installed then you need to set UEFI to enabled and Legacy/CSM to disable. Tapping F12 at boot should give you a boot menu. If not then F12 needs to be enabled in the UEFI settings. Also make sure USB is the first boot device.

If you still cannot get the boot menu it may be a problem with the key itself in that the Toshiba can not detect it. Also possibly using Rufus to create the bootable USB flash drive may help. If you did not get 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool then I would download it and do the option to download an iso file. Run Rufus on the desktop. Make sure you select GPT partition scheme in the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see FreeDos in the dropdown box then select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the iso file. Press Start.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh-Dx5lPh4E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip1Yk4wxoKE

#3 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

Yeah the bios settings are very straight forward but as I mentioned, I made sure they were correct. I also tried making it with Rufus. I pretty much knew it wasn't going to work but I did it so that I can say I did. It's definitely not the usb drive either, this computer and probably toshiba generally seem to have this specific problem. The USB ports just don't detect anything until I start up windows.

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:58 PM

Could you try to change a setting in the BIOS. Enter to the BIOS and change "advanced- system configuration -boot mode" to CSM. Sure, that now you have UEFI.
After this change, you could boot from USB.

• 1st Disabled Secure Boot
  • 2nd Change boot configuration from UEFI to CMS

( If using Rufus, create UEFI format USB)

Good Luck

#5 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:29 PM

I understand the Uefi and csm /safe boot are the most common problem in this situation, but I've already tried every combination and it doesn't work.

The thing I'm wondering is why the usb setting in the boot priority is always blank. Shouldn't it detect the usb drive even if it can't boot?

#6 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

Ok, here's an update: it does detect the Kingston datatraveler in the boot order, but only if it is set to safe boot enabled and CSM. I think that's progress as before I made the drive with rufus, the drive would not be detected in the bios period.

#7 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:47 PM

There's a chance that "brain" is confused, then helps only removing CMOS battery for a minute.
I just noticed - you said, "I'm putting the drive in the USB 3.0 port", it might not work because it might not find the USB 3 drivers. Can you use USB 2? In case you can not, you need to install USB 3 drivers in some cases (before), but I can not tell you at the moment how it is the best to do. I remember, this problem has been.

#8 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:32 PM

I popped out the Cmos battery for a minute and lo and behold, it works! I didn't even know mobs had a battery. Thanks a bunch, I thought this was never going to work.

#9 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 01:53 AM

Did I understand correctly that it's working now?

Edited by zainmax, 14 September 2017 - 01:58 AM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:51 AM

If removing the CMOS battery corrected things...it may only be temporary, since the CMOS battery may need to be replaced.

Louis

#11 accidentally

accidentally
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

Yes, it's working correctly. Removing the CMOS battery for a minute and putting it back in seemed to solve the issue.

Now, for some reason after using my computer for a day I realized that there is no sound. I wonder why that is. I can live with no sound, I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users