Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running multiple instances in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rboone2020

rboone2020

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:31 PM

Folks,

I'm a scientist looking hard at building a Threadripper machine.  I build and use simulation software.  It may be a very long time before I get into parallelizing the software, but I now put multiple processors to work by starting more than one independent instance (on the four core machine I use now).   A Threadripper could really speed things along, if I use it well.  I would appreciate any comment or tips on my workflow.   

Right now I do this work with brute force.   I create multiple drives, copy the programs and files to all the drives, and in a command line kick off a process for each drive.  It may then crank for minutes, hours, or weeks.  The reason for multiple drives ... the reason for complications in general ... is to avoid conflict when producing output files; I can't have one process writing to a file belonging to another process.

I can dream up pathways to avoid the multiple drives (such as providing each instance with a long random suffix to add to each file), but it seems awkward. 

Any tips on best practices?

Thanks,

Randy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users