Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 32 bit SP2 Quick launch items/icons changed Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 six-h

six-h

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:24 PM

Just booted into Vista and the usual three icons to the right of the "Start" button have changed!

They used to be (IIRC):- "Switch between Windows", "Show Desktop", "MS Office Outlook" and "Firefox".

They have now changed to:- "Internet Explorer", "MS Office Outlook" and "Show Desktop".

The hidden ones, under the ">>" button, now show "Switch between Windows and "Firefox".

That is the current state, ...after much messing to retrieve "Switch between Windows" which had disappeared totally, with Google's help I managed to create another shortcut, and then find the correct Icon for it.

...this now works but is among the hidden ones where as I seem to recall it was directly on the taskbar before, now I can't find how to move any of the icons from "Hidden" to the taskbar, I realise there must be a finite number allowed on the taskbar but I thought it was more than three!

Either way, can someone help me to organise this  please?

Also, Task Mgr. which I always have on show has once again "lost it's shadow" (in the notification area!) like Peter Pan!

Can someone pretend to be  Wendy and help me sew it back on!! :hello:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

Right click the task bar and make sure Lock theTaskbar is not checked. If checked uncheck and left click the dotted vertical bar just to the right of the >> and drag to the right to expose the hidden icons.

lock+taskbar.png

image38.png

#3 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

Thanks JohnC_21, I finally got there with trial & error, ...more error than I would have liked though!!

Still can't get Task Manager to show in the Sys Tray though. :(

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,519 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:48 PM

Is there some reason you need Task Manager in the System Tray? That would just use unnecessary resources? A simple Ctrl + Alt + Del would launch the Task Manager.

Start Task Manager using Ctrl + Alt + Del. In Options of the Menu bar select Hide When Minimized. Minimize Task Manager and it should be in the System Tray.

#5 six-h

six-h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

I'm running Vista!

I need to know what's going on so I always have TM running lower right of screen, when it's in the way, I minimise it and to recall it I just click the sys tray icon.

...That's the way I've worked for the last 10 years!

Now for some reason despite having "Always on Top" and "Hide When Minimised" checked, it still refuses to show in the Sys Tray.

To recall it, I now have to press "Ctrl+Shift+ESC".

Nuisance! :rolleyes:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,519 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:11 PM

If you only check Hide When Minimized and nothing else it still refuses to enter the System Tray when minimized?

Edit: See if using the method here gets Task Manager in the System Tray.

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 September 2017 - 08:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users