Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different Questions About Upgrading

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Overdose(UT)

Overdose(UT)

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

hi, i have an emachine pc. it currently has a ultra ata hard drive in it. i want to upgrade to a sata. in two weeks i will be buying a new hard drive,power supply, and upgrading to two gigs of ram. i need a new power supply because i am putting a 7900 gtx in it. i want a westgate raptor sata hdd. do i only need a power supply with the proper wires to switch to a sata hdd? will my mother board be compatible with sata? it has an athlon 64 3400+. how hard is it to upgrade the processor? i have already taken out the hdd, power supply, and ram. thanks for any recommendations.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:35 PM

To do such an extensive upgrade, you might as well put in another mobo in it aswell. Because the mobos provided with the eMachines are crappy.. Just my 2 cents.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 11:51 PM

To do such an extensive upgrade, you might as well put in another mobo in it aswell. Because the mobos provided with the eMachines are crappy.. Just my 2 cents.

Can't do that. e-machines are propreitary. The only way he could upgrade the mobo is if he bought a board direct from e-machines or a palce that sells e-machines boards, if he's lucky enough to find such a place. No other brand of board will fit in the E-Machines case. My suggestion is to sell the e-machines and put the money toward a new system.

Edited by Gary335, 17 September 2006 - 11:52 PM.

#4 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:43 AM

You took the words out of my mouth. What he said^^

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:14 AM

I agree that it's not a great idea to add such good equipment to an eMachines system - you'd be better off (IMO) building a new system. In this case you'd have to purchase (at a minimum) a new case and motherboard and could reuse a lot of the eMachine components.

The W-D Raptor drives are great - but you'll need either a PSU that has the SATA plugs on it - or you'll need to get an adapter to adapt it to SATA (I got a PSU with the plugs built in when I got my Raptors, so I don't have any experience with the adapters).

You'll also have to ensure that the PSU has the proper plugs for your mobo. Some have an extra 4 pin plug for mobos, while others have different connection requirements (I haven't worked on an eMachine in quite a long while so I'm not sure about this).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:19 AM

I agree that it's not a great idea to add such good equipment to an eMachines system - you'd be better off (IMO) building a new system. In this case you'd have to purchase (at a minimum) a new case and motherboard and could reuse a lot of the eMachine components.

I'm not so sure about that either. Most e-machines boards come with most things built in-sound video, lan, modem. More than liekly the only ocmponents he could probably use are the CPU and RAM, in which case it still makes more sense to sell the e-machines and use the money to buy another system.

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:46 AM

Are you guys sure about the emachines boards ?

all the new emachines that I have seen (ever since gateway bought them) now have standard MSI motherboards.

and depending on the model also have up to four sata ports and support raid.

look up your emachine here: www.e4me.com

Edited by oldf@rt, 18 September 2006 - 09:48 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:02 AM

Are you guys sure about the emachines boards ?

all the new emachines that I have seen (ever since gateway bought them) now have standard MSI motherboards.

and depending on the model also have up to four sata ports and support raid.

look up your emachine here: www.e4me.com

I just finished working on an e-machines P4 system for someone, and the board was proprietary in that one. I work on e-machines quite often and have yet to stumble across one that isn't proprietary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users