Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU getting too hot

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

Hi Everybody,

My CPU is running way too hot when playing games; it will get to 75 C with an old game and with FIFA 17 it will reach 90 C,

funny thing is it will not throttle and shut down but instead carry on working...

I've cleaned the interior of the case, purchased a beefier heatsink and applied a good thermal paste to no avail :mellow:... I was googling and read about things like: reducing the frequency multiplier of the CPU speed and altering the vcore voltage in BIOS; what are these? is anyone able to help me? 

Thank you in advance.

My OS is Windows 7, 64 bit, Home Edition and my processor is an i7 2600K

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:17 AM

Hey, reducing the frequency multiplier in BIOS basically means under-clocking your CPU, so that it works slower, but at a lower temperature. Unfortunately, I don't know what the Vcore voltages are or why your processor is getting this hot even though you've done everything possible hardware-wise to prevent that. All I can advise you is to wait for a more knowledgeable reply and also to try restarting your PC before playing games, such as FIFA or Football Manager, waiting 1 minute after you've turned on your computer and then starting the game (So, that everything else is closed and your PC is only tasked with playing the game after you've restarted and everything has booted up properly). By the way, how are the other things with the your PC going, any other problems besides this one? :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 12 September 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 10,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

How are you obtaining the temperature reading? I would question its accuracy if you are not seeing any adverse effect from temperatures supposedly that high, and improved cooling hasn't altered them.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Hey, reducing the frequency multiplier in BIOS basically means under-clocking your CPU, so that it works slower, but at a lower temperature. Unfortunately, I don't know what the Vcore voltages are or why your processor is getting this hot even though you've done everything possible hardware-wise to prevent that. All I can advise you is to wait for a more knowledgeable reply and also to try restarting your PC before playing games, such as FIFA or Football Manager, waiting 1 minute after you've turned on your computer and then starting the game (So, that everything else is closed and your PC is only tasked with playing the game after you've restarted and everything has boot up properly). By the way, how are the other things with the your PC going, any other problems besides this one? :)

All other things seem to be fine, when browsing the internet I get 45- 50 C  :-)

#5 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

How are you obtaining the temperature reading? I would question its accuracy if you are not seeing any adverse effect from temperatures supposedly that high, and improved cooling hasn't altered them.

I'm monitoring my temps by keeping CPUID HWMonitor on.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 10,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Utilities don't always read temperatures correctly. Is there monitoring software supplied by the manufacturer of the system mainboard? Otherwise, when the temperature is reported very high, if you reboot and immediately enter the BIOS setup and check the temperature reading there, is that consistent with the readings of up to 90C? The CPU will cool somewhat in the time it takes to reboot, but if it showed very much lower, then when you restarted Windows it was higher again, that would suggest CPUID HWMonitor may be misreading the temperature.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 4,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

I'd guess it's misreading as well.  If you check cpu-world.com or the manufacturer's spec sheet for the processor in question its maximum is just below 73 degrees C.

I know that these temperatures are always well below critical, but they're generally not 20 degrees C below critical.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063

". . . American business has yet to learn how to measure the productivity and effectiveness of professional and technical employees.  As a result, employees who get little done, but spend a lot of time doing it, are often rewarded more than those who fulfill or exceed job requirements while keeping reasonable hours.
     A job that routinely requires 60 to 80 hours per week is mismanaged, understaffed, or staffed with the wrong person.  A badly managed firm isn't a good place for men or women, parents or not."  ~ Sophie M. Korczyk

#8 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

I'll check the temps by using another software (Piriform Speccy to be more precise), I can't however do the BIOS things, I mean, I CAN but it's pointless because the temps drop like 30° (down to 60) the very moment I quit the game.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 28,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

Speccy is even less reliable to report correct temperatures than CPUID HDWMonitor.  The most accurate readings you can get from the computer are in the BIOS. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:53 AM

Ok, here are the readings:

I used three software programs at the same time: CPUID, Speccy and RealTemp GT; Speccy only displays the temp at any given moment, it does not record the highest and lowest temps, so when I Interrupt my game for a quick check, it displays 75 C, which is not alarming because, as I said before, I test it with the game FIFA, which is known to be cpu demanding; the other two display slightly higher temps (both give the same temps) now where it gets interesting is the highest temp recorded, BOTH CPUID and RealTemp Display 90 C  which is way too hot!

It cannot be that those two pieces of software are wrong.

Anyone any ideas?

PS: 90 C  = 194 F  :oopsign: 

#11 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:58 AM

Speccy is even less reliable to report correct temperatures than CPUID HDWMonitor.  The most accurate readings you can get from the computer are in the BIOS. 

It may be so but it's pointless because I cannot play and be in BIOS at the same time and, as I've said, the temps drop way too quickly!

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:11 AM

I've cleaned the interior of the case, purchased a beefier heatsink and applied a good thermal paste to no avail :mellow:... I

What heat sink have you fitted?  Is it making good contact with the CPU?

#13 TheFrancisco

TheFrancisco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

I've cleaned the interior of the case, purchased a beefier heatsink and applied a good thermal paste to no avail :mellow:... I

What heat sink have you fitted?  Is it making good contact with the CPU?

I'd imagine so, but opening the case (again) and messing with the heatsink (again) which would imply unscrewing and removing the motherboard (again) is, at this time, my last resort as I'd like to try all software (possible) issues before moving to the hardware.

#14 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

Why would you need to unscrew the motherboard? Can't you just open the case when the computer is working, see if the fan spins properly and if it does, turn off the computer. Then, place your hand on the fan and try to wiggle it a little bit - if it can be wiggled easily, then you'd need to unscrew it, clean your CPU, place new thermal paste on it and screw the fan back on, but this time tightly. If it can't be wiggled, then there is no problem with it hard-ware wise. Since the case is opened either way, quickly also check whether your video card and everything else is well dusted off and properly connected. Then, screw the case back closed and at this moment if the temperatures are still high and we can't think of a software-related issue, that means that your CPU is probably faulty. If such is the case, then you'd either need to replace it or return it and get another one.:)

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 53,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

Then, screw the case back closed and at this moment if the temperatures are still high and we can't think of a software-related issue, that means that your CPU is probably faulty. If such is the case, then you'd either need to replace it or return it and get another one. :)

I would not conclude such, since it's the sensors which convey any indication of temperature.  The CPU can be functioning properly but there are any number of circumstances which might cause incorrect temperature readings.

I would suspect everything else...fan/heatsink, thermal paste, sensors to motherboard...before I would think "CPU".

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users