Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Hotfix 817472

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

I need this hotfix to fix my PIO to DMA delimma. I have searched the internet and came up empty handed. If somebody has a direct link to this hotfix, please can you please share?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:24 AM

It's in SP2 as shown here:List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2 the hotfix is listed as IDE ATA and ATAPI Disks Use PIO Mode After Multiple Time-Out or CRC Errors Occur, in the network group.

Be (SP2 Upgrade) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 legoman786

legoman786
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:10 AM

But I do have SP2. Which makes me wonder, Why dont I already have this?

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:21 AM

Since you have SP2, you already have it. What tells you that it's not installed?

List of hotfixes included with SP2 (about way down the page) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113/

You can check for it by clicking on the link for the hotfix here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=817472

Towards the bottom of the page it gives the version information

File information
The English version of this hotfix has the file attributes (or later file attributes) that are listed in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time tool in Control Panel.

Date Time Version Size File name Platform
-------------------------------------------------------------
28-Apr-2003 18:09 5.2.3790.10 91,136 Atapi.sys i386
28-Apr-2003 18:09 5.2.3790.10 288,256 Atapi.sys IA64

Note After you apply this hotfix, you must modify the registry as described in the "More Information" section in this article to change this behavior. If you do not modify the registry, the hotfix does not change the behavior.

Verifying the file information against the one installed on your sytsem will let you know if the hotfix has been applied. But, please notice the comment about the registry modification - I'd also check that to ensure that your registry was updated with the proper information to reflect this (I suspect that SP2 did it automatically, but am not 100% sure of this).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users