Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ip security questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 melvins

melvins

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:14 AM

hello,

I was on the phone with playstation game support to confirm things and gave the employee my ip address...I don't really understand why the person would need my ip though...

but Im upset at myself for not declining to give the info...

the employee directed me to a site...ip4 something .com or .org? or it could've been something else...sorry, i cant remember but on that site I read him the numbers and the ip started with 184.

I checked the ip just now through the computer's control panel but now it starts with 192 and says lease obtained sometime during the pm and also shows a end date...

does this mean I had a ip that started with 184 earlier then it changed to a one that starts with 192? it just automatically changed?

so if anyone that has my old ip that started with 184 they cant do anything if they were to try because I have a different one now?

im not saying that person is a bad person and going to do harmful things... I highly doubt it, I hope not. I am just curious for answers...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:58 PM

I think your just confusing a ISP assigned external ip, the 184 number with your private LAN ip, the 192 number.  No worries. All normal including the lease renewal.

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:10 AM

Maybe this can help you:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536252/how-to-tell-if-you-have-a-private-ip-address-or-a-public-ip-address/

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 melvins

melvins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:33 AM

I think your just confusing a ISP assigned external ip, the 184 number with your private LAN ip, the 192 number.  No worries. All normal including the lease renewal.

thanks for the help guys. i was just being paranoid from hearing and reading hacking stories from this ip thing...i don't know much when it comes to computer things.

#5 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:54 AM

Knowing when and how much information to disclose to someone who (may be) trying to help you can be a difficult balance. You are right to be cagey about providing information, but it might be OK based on a number of factors - Level of trust in the person helping you, certainty about their identity, their possible motives, and the sensitivity of the information being disclosed. Indeed low grade information. (IP address might likely fall into this category - more about that later) might slightly lower the bar for the other factors. High grade information (financial info) would probably raise that bar.

So let’s look at your situation:

“I was on the phone with playstation game support … employee ”. Salient factors might be - Who you contacted - Major well known company? (for example Codemasters) or some small relatively unknown developer. Who contacted who? (I’m assuming you initiated the support request?). How you got the contact details… Phone number on the game packaging?, or phone number from the company’s website whose address you got from the game packaging  (note the chain of trust there) is probably ok. Googling “Supa-mega-blaster support” and blindly dialling the phone number from the top hit is much more dubious. 

As for disclosing a public IP address - Mostly that’s not too dangerous. In theory, your internet router will block unsolicited  traffic. Of course routers can have security issues or be configured insecurely, and some software might rely on opening ports inbound to work. In practice there are automated bots continually scanning the internet for any weaknesses so exposed. In short the bad guys don’t need to ask you for your IP address, they will find the IP addresses of vulnerable equipment anyway (a little off topic - but best practice is to make sure that your router password is secure, and that 'remote administration' features of the router are disabled).

What might he need it for? He might me able to look at the logs on the companies servers to see error messages related to your connections. He might be able to check how congested the internet is between that server snd your connection. 

So putting that together - if the contact was initiated by you, to the support contact of a well known, reputable developer, then disclosing your public IP address should not be an issue.

The other contributors to this thread have answered the query regarding the difference between internal (private) ip addresses and your public ip address. 

x64 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users