Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drives Quit Working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:29 PM

I have an HP 550-a209 running Windows 10 Home (x64). I use two CD/DVD drives - one that came with the computer and an external TSSTCorp drive. Neither one will properly read CDs anymore, nor can I write to a CD. The internal one just stalls. When I try to open folders on a CD when it's in the internal drive, file explorer quits responding. When the CD is in the external drive, file explorer doesn't even show there's a CD in the drive.

Both drives were working find until last week or the week before. It doesn't matter which CD I use. None work. I can also open the same CDs on other computers. I did see that about a week ago, Windows installed some updates on my computer. I wonder if this is what caused the problem. If so, how do I fix it? I tried to update the drivers for the drives, but got a message that they both have the most up-to-date driver. There is no option to rollback a driver. If the driver updates aren't the problem, what might the problem be - and I do I fix it. Below is a list of the driver updates, as well as a Windows update from the same day.
Attached File  updates.JPG   48.66KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:22 AM

You may have the most recent driver for the DVD/CD drive, but is the driver corrupted?

Open the Device Manager and uninstall the DVD/CD-ROM driver.  When you restart the computer a new driver will be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Good question. I don't know if the driver is corrupted or not. I didn't think of that since there are two different CD/DVD drives involved. Wouldn't each have its own driver? Maybe I should uninstall both of them.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:31 PM

Delete the upper and lower filters per the below guide. Reboot.

https://www.lifewire.com/guide-to-deleting-the-upperfilters-and-lowerfilters-registry-values-2619225

It just may be a coincidence that both failed at the same time. You can also boot a live linux distro and confirm if the drives do not read a CD/DVD.

Linux Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso file by right clicking and selecting burn disk image. On boot Mint will ask for input. Do not input anything. Wait till you get to the Mint Desktop. Click Computer on the Desktop. In the left pane will be your drives. Place a CD/DVD in the drive(s). Click on the CD/DVD icon in the left. The drive will mount and a File Manager window will open. Note: In order to boot Mint disable SecureBoot if in your UEFI/BIOS settings. You can also use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Download and run Rufus on the desktop. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon and browse to the Mint iso file. Press Start.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

It could very well be some glitch that happened if Windows 10 updated last week. 

#5 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Thanks, JohnC. I'll try all that. I suspect the problem is related to the Windows update.

Delete the upper and lower filters per the below guide. Reboot.

https://www.lifewire.com/guide-to-deleting-the-upperfilters-and-lowerfilters-registry-values-2619225

It just may be a coincidence that both failed at the same time. You can also boot a live linux distro and confirm if the drives do not read a CD/DVD.

Linux Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso file by right clicking and selecting burn disk image. On boot Mint will ask for input. Do not input anything. Wait till you get to the Mint Desktop. Click Computer on the Desktop. In the left pane will be your drives. Place a CD/DVD in the drive(s). Click on the CD/DVD icon in the left. The drive will mount and a File Manager window will open. Note: In order to boot Mint disable SecureBoot if in your UEFI/BIOS settings. You can also use the iso with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Download and run Rufus on the desktop. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon and browse to the Mint iso file. Press Start.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

It could very well be some glitch that happened if Windows 10 updated last week.

#6 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

Okay... I started by uninstalling both CD/DVD drives and then rebooted the computer. At first, the drives had trouble reading the CD's that had been in the drives when Windows decided to install updates. But other disks worked just fine. The questionable CD's worked fine in other computers, so I knew there was nothing wrong with them.

I kept trying different CD's, all of which worked fine. Then I'd try the "problem" CDs. Eventually, they both worked - in both CD drives.

I don't know what was going on after the drivers were reinstalled for those drives, but all is good now.

Thanks for your help!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

Happy computing. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Occam's Razor. dc3's was the simplest solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users