Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Audio Issues: Please Help!!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thatsillygirl

Thatsillygirl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:23 PM

I have spent hours trying to fix my audio on my computer tonight with no avail, so I'm reaching out here hoping that someone can offer me some kind of helpful troubleshooting that I haven't tried yet. 

Initially I have had my speakers, which are fairly new, plugged into a rear jack labeled "sub"...and I'm actually using bass speakers along with a sub for music that are all one unit of external speakers. Since the newer Windows 10 update about a week ago...that jack stopped working. It seems almost as if the computer isn't even able to detect a device being plugged in that jack at all. My initial "fix" was to roll back to the previous Windows Update...which didn't fix my sub jack but did resolve other issues I was having (mainly my computer not being able to be awoken after going into screensaver..I literally had to hard shut down my computer and start back up to use my computer....) BUT I digress....besides rolling back the update I really just decided to plug my speakers into my headphone jack via the left panel of my computer and it honestly worked great.

Today I noticed that the configuration panel for my Beats Audio that came with my computer had various settings grayed out. I thought to myself "maybe my device driver is out of date and that is what is causing my jack/configuration issues. I'm really good at staying on top of updating my drivers so it took no time at all for me to realize this was NOT the problem. I looked up some videos related to Windows 10 update issues regarding sound/audio drivers. I ended up following a video that suggested I go to "support.hp.com" and reinstall my audio driver after uninstalling my current one. I did so and restarted my computer. 

At first I was happy. The first thing I noticed is that my Beats Audio configuration page was no longer grayed out...I had full use of the settings in that panel. To my dismay, my headphone jack stopped working...which it was working fine BEFORE the uninstall/reinstall of my driver. My rear jack for my "sub" is still not working...all that works is my USB headset, and my internal speakers within my PC. So the aggravation ensued. I spent hours using the "Troubleshoot Sound Issue". I disabled and enabled my "High Definition Audio Device", I tried changing many settings in "Playback Devices"...no matter what I do including uninstalling and reinstalling my driver...my headphones jack no longer works (I didn't just try my speakers through my headphone jack, I also tried a headset I have with plugs for headphone and mic jacks and that wasn't working either...at all. Thus...I can't use my headphone jack/ speakers. Additionally, my Beats Audio configuration is grayed out...again. So not only have I failed to solve my audio problems, I actually back-tracked!!  :wacko:

I KNOW my speakers work. I didn't try to plug them in while things were on initially. I shut down my computer, plugged in my speakers, started my PC...let my PC load to my desktop, turned on speakers...tried to let my computer detect them (which it no longer has any notification pop-up when a device is plugged into it EXCEPT my phone)...it's literally as if my computer doesn't detect or flat out ignores the use of my left and rear jack. Eventually I DID try to plug my speakers in with everything on including music playing. Sometimes the music would lessen in volume when I plugged my speakers in...but no sound would come through my speakers still. That sensation went away though and eventually no sound was playing even out of my internal speakers and I had to uninstall/reinstall one last time to get that working again.

This is driving me absolutely nuts. Music and gaming with sound through my speakers is very important to me. I really desire to figure this out so any help would be super appreciated!!  :bowdown:

About my PC:  HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d494 All-in-One Desktop PC: 64 bit processor, Intel i5-4440S CPU @ 2.80GHz using Beats Audio and the "High Definition Audio Driver" via the HP website. According to HP it is the most up to date version of my driver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:02 PM

Are you using an integrated sound card or a PCI card? You can try to do a Windoews Restore to a time before the trouble started. I'm thinking your sound card is bad.

#3 Thatsillygirl

Thatsillygirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:17 PM

See the weird thing is this literally all happened directly after the latest Windows 10 Update so I feel like it HAS to be related to that. But I did roll back to the previous update...which if that was the sole cause...should have hypothetically "fixed" it. Realistically though my headphone jack was working earlier tonight before I started to mess with the audio driver so I really don't think my sound card is bad unless the stress I might have put on it in the last couple hours literally burned it out.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:42 PM

The fact that the speakers were coming and going and then the headphone jacks stopped working sounds like a failing sound card. You never did answer my question about which type of card you use. If it's a PCI and you mother board has an integrated card you might want to take it out and see if the problems continue on the integrated.

#5 Thatsillygirl

Thatsillygirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:13 PM

So I still haven't been able to get my rear jack to work in my computer for "sub", but I did actually fix the issue. It wasn't my sound card it was my auxiliary cable that goes from the back of my speakers into my computer. I tried switching the cable out and plugging into my headphone jack and it works again, famously. Interesting timing in the least, but I'm glad it isn't a sound card/Windows update issue.

#6 Thatsillygirl

Thatsillygirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

To be honest I don't know what kind of sound card I have. I would assume since I am using an All-in-One computer it's highly likely an integrated one. I am not 100% on that information.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

Yep, cables can be a problem and the last thing you think about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users