Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Modem and System Hardware Incompatibility

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:44 PM

I just purchased a 56k dialup USB modem and I can't get that darn thing to work correctly with Win10. It works fine with XP, but I need to use it with Win10. The manufacturer said that because I'm using the correct driver and it works with XP, that the problem is a "system hardware incompatibilty" issue and I'll never get it to work. They said to return it and try their other USB modem or one from a different company. The modem dials the access number, it just won't connect with it. The drivers are from LSI Agere and are dated 2009. The PCIe modem I had before also used LSI Agere drivers, but were dated 2010. The manufacturer of the USB modem says I have the latest drivers - the one from 2009. I don't understand drivers, so I'll take their word for it.

Does this sound like a hardware issue? Is there any way to check exactly what's causing the problem? There has to be a program that can test stuff like this, does anyone know of one?

Here's my system specs:

Windows Version - 10.0.10586 Build 10586
System Manufacturer - Lenovo
System Model - 90FB0001US
System Type - x64-based PC
Processor - Intel Core i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70 GHz
Bios Version/Date - Lenovo FWKT58A 9/5/2016
RAM - 8 GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:40 PM

From what I have been able to google Windows 10 and dialup is a marriage made in Hell.

You can try uninstalling the driver then reinstall using compatibility mode.

Method 2:

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-install-or-run-a-program-in-compatibility-mode-in-windows-10-windows-8-1-windows-8/

#3 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

I disabled the modem from making a v.90 connection and it will make what appears to be a v.34 connection to the server. Unfortunately, that gives me speeds of 28k or less. The fact that it connects with v.90 disabled is telling me something, but I don't know what that is.

I was able to install the latest drivers (dated 2010), but I still can't make a v.90 connection. Something has changed in the handshake with the new drivers, but I'm not sure what it is. It does seem to be an improvement.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? The fact that the modem connects with v.90 disabled means something. But is it a driver problem? Is it something that can be fixed on my end?

There are not a lot of 56k modems out there, so I'd like to get this one working, if possible.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

I may be able to find a later driver. Right click the modem in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line into your next post. Other than that I'm out of ideas, sorry.

#5 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

By pure accident, I happened to find updated drivers for this modem on another manufacturer's website. Installing them helped a lot, but I'm still having problems. I can now connect in V.90, but only at about 33K. I'm hearing the DIL tones, which I didn't hear before.

​I'm going to contact the other manufacturer and see if they have the release notes for these drivers or if they can tell me what changes were made.

​Am I wrong in thinking that this problem is still related to the driver, or could be fixed with a driver?

​If this problem were a timing issue with the (CPU?) clocks, is there a way to detect that? It did look like something was out of sync before installing the new driver. I'm using a spectrum analyser to look at the handshake. With the new driver, I'm not seeing anything that looks out of sync, but I suspect something still is.

​The deadline to return this modem is the 7th, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I may explain the situation to customer service and ask for an extension. I would love to be able to figure out this problem. There are so many other people who've had the same problem I have.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,837 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:25 PM

I did not see this thread until today, but no matter what you do about the modem you must update your Windows 10 version, and soon.

Version 1511, Build 10586 is being dropped from support next Tuesday, October 10, 2017.

I would strongly advise you to follow the instructions:

Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file

I realize that if you are using dial-up you are either going to have to travel somewhere that you can get WiFi access long enough to download the ISO file or have someone else do that for you and create the bootable media.

There's just no point in even trying to resolve this problem in a build of Windows 10 that is leaving active support.  Also, there's been a lot of proverbial water under the bridge since then with Versions 1607 and 1703, and Version 1709 will be being release within days.  If you are able to wait a few days I would do so and snag the ISO file for Version 1709 rather than 1703, which is what downloads now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

Ahhhh! What a pain in the a$$. But thanks for the advice, britechguy. I haven't even bothered looking into doing any Windows updates since I got the computer in January.

I don't suppose you have any idea how large that ISO file might be? I skimmed two articles but didn't see it listed. There's only one place I can go to download the file and they have satellite internet. I've had a 150 MB file take anywhere from 20 minutes to 6 hrs to download depending on the time of day and month.

So are you suggesting that it's possible that the modem might work if I do the update? The return deadline is October 7 at Amazon. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it to use with Windows XP (makes a great backup computer for times like these) or just go ahead and return it. I might explain the situation and ask for an extension.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,837 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

The ISOs I have vary but are all in approximately the 3.5GB size range.

If you're directly creating a bootable USB with the Media Creation Tool the minimum size allowed for the USB drive is 4GB.

I would just return the thing.

You are an an example of where Windows as a service is not really a functional paradigm.  If you cannot download the upgrades, and straight dial-up makes that very impractical, you are going to end up behind the proverbial 8-ball repeatedly.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:54 PM

I'll try to download the ISO this week.

I'm having trouble understanding something about the modem situation. If someone can explain it, I should be done with this thread.

The first modem I had for the Windows 10 computer was a PCIe modem that I belive uses the same chipset as the USB modem, even though the modems were made by different companies. Both modems basically use the same driver.

So why did the PCIe modem work perfectly (fast speeds) and the USB modem did not (slow speeds)? The company said it was incompatible with my computer, but how can that be? Does that mean every USB modem that uses this chipset will not work with my computer?

If I could buy the modems from a physical store, I wouldn't be so annoyed by this. I don't like having to worry about the possibility of return shipping costs and going through the hassle of returning it (printing the label, packing the shipping box, etc.). I like returning stuff to a physical store, it's a lot easier. 

#10 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

I finally got the release notes for the latest driver and the only difference I can see is that it fixed USB 3.0 connectivity issue with AMD controller based systems. That doesn't apply to me, so I don't understand why it helped, but didn't fix the problem. I guess I could contact Broadcom since they're the one who released the update.

This whole situation is really ticking me off. I keep hitting dead ends. I question when I'll actually be able to get the MS update, I suspect I'll have issues with all the USB modems that have the same chipset, and I can't find any workable and affordable alternatives to dialup. The best solution would probably be cutting the tops out of all the trees facing south, then I could get satellite. But that's never going to happen either. I wonder whether an installation tech could mount the dish on a pole 10-20 ft. off my chimney. That might put the dish over the trees.

Ughh! There's no winning. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users