Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD 1tb Lags

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Threesom666

Threesom666

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

Just got this used HD. Formated it. Strange thing happens. It lags to the point of being almost unusable. It sometimes forgets or acts slow to recognize its drives. It is partition in half. When transfer it starts off fast but then slows down and takes forever for it to finish sometimes it wont finish. Ive noticed in my win 7 sometimes it wont recognize the drives but when Install it in my Ubunto it recognizes it immediately but it also lags. Its near impossible to transfer multiple files. When I transfer big files it takes forever but starts off superfast. It definitely has had issues because thats not how it suppose to work. In ubunto something strange things happens when I transfer files to the drive it works better and mostly transfer it but when I transfer from the drive to ubunto, ubunto doesnt accept big files. It says something about splitting or something.

My solution to this has been to format it. I thought the quick format would do it. That didnt help much. Then tried the Full format. That took forever. Eventually I quit it. I might try it again if advised. The previous owner had tons of hacked stuff on it and am not sure if thats interfering with it. He never told me he had issues with it and when he showed it to me it appeared fine. I dont think he'd be using it if it was this faulty. I can try chkdisking it too but have noticed one time I tried it took a long time. Wanting to restore it like if it was from the factory working it without issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

The disk is likely on its way out.   Everything you describe about its behavior suggests something is going wrong with the actual drive motor itself.

If S.M.A.R.T. has been turned on for this drive statistics about it should have been compiled over time, but if it has not they'll be of limited use if you turn it on now except for really obvious failures.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_S.M.A.R.T._tools  for the range of software you could use to see what S.M.A.R.T. stats are available on that drive.  I've used Speccy myself and a couple of the others, but haven't used those to examine the stats.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:34 AM

Update!

After about 10 hours of doing the Check disk automatically fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. The Drive is working much better. Transfering in and out with files working pretty good. But have noticed this issues still. One when transfer starts its pretty fast at a 23mb rate then it gradually declines all the way to around 6mb. What starts off as one min. turns to 3-5. THen the other thing is that it almost always stops for along time like an extra min or so just at the 5 sec. almost finish mark. I find all of this odd. Even given more advice I will try. After reading some about the S.M.A.R.T. I dont think its the hardware damage though some have stated even a small bump can damage it. I am pretty sure its software.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

Run Seatools for Windows on the external. Do the short and long generic tests.

If you have a WD drive then use Data Lifeguard.

#5 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:06 PM

whats WD? Western digital?

The hard drive says HGST.

Just download seatools. I read seagate hard drive. Are you sure that wont be a problem?

Edited by Threesom666, 13 September 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:32 PM

Go ahead and run Seatools for Windows on the HGST. It will still check the drive. If you are concerned then use Gsmartcontrol which is a software that will work on all drives.

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/

#7 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:19 AM

Okay here is what has happened. I tried the short version and it stopped at 40% and said failed. I would like to get it fixed if I can. I then tried the long one for about 10 hours. Never did quite get a percentage just stayed like in the beginning. Got tired of waiting and aborted it. Can you tell me about how long it takes so I can pace myself?

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:43 AM

The drive has already failed the short test. There's no point doing a longer test.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,784 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

This drive is not usable, at least not if you value your data.  You now have confirmation via a diagnostic tool.  They are not repairable (or I guess I should say they're repairable at a cost very far in excess of new ones, so no one does it).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

Playtypus

Failed the short test but I did the longer one based on the poster and program itself. It did say to try it to try fix bad blocks.

britechguy

So its a piece of trash? Should I still use it or is it only going to cause me problems?

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,784 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:45 PM

It is a piece of trash.   If you continue to use it I can guarantee you that it will fail on you, completely, at some point in the reasonably near foreseeable future.

These things are so cheap now (and they haven't been expensive in a while) that it doesn't justify putting your data at risk in any way.  If, of course, you are using it strictly for backup (which I still would not do, by the way) then you could replace the drive when it fails and start taking backups to its replacement.  But, you face the possibility of the current drive failing when it's needed for recovery which, in my opinion, is insane.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

Thank You Brian for setting me straight.

Edited by Threesom666, 16 September 2017 - 02:18 AM.

#13 Threesom666

Threesom666
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:51 PM

Strange after I had done the fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. It isnt lagging and its been working really good. Before even 500mbs would take about 15mins it stated fast but then slow down to like 6mbs then take forever then stop for a long time at the end. Recently I transered about 7gb and it did in about 5mins. All the files are working properly and it hasnt given me any issues that I can think of whereas before it was would lag my pc and the drive itself. I transfer several files at the same time and it handles it well. I am thinking of doing the same procedure to its other partition.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,597 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:08 AM

If you do use this drive make sure you have the data in two locations with the data being on one good device. You can see the health of the drive by running Gsmartcontrol. It's not necessary to do the short and long tests again. Double click the drive in the Gsmartcontrol main window. Look under the attributes tab. Look for pink and red rows. Pay special attention to Reallocated sectors and Pending Reallocated Sectors. If you see either of these attributes increasing from day to day then it will only be a mater of time before the drive fails. Personally, I would junk the drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users