Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Graphic distortion and crashes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 WellImStumped

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:29 PM

I would appreciate any input here. I'm still not sure if the problem is hardware, software or virus related so forgive me if this isn't the correct forum. I'm running Windows 7.

Yesterday morning my computer was functioning normally, I left it on sleep mode and left for the day. When I returned in the evening there was a blue crash screen that was all scrambled and hard to read. I had to power down by holding the power button on the tower. When I started it there were horizontal lines across the motherboard boot screen and all of those DOS boot screens. I started windows in safe mode which had the same lines, powered down through windows and boot up again. This time there were no lines and the computer functioned normally the rest of the night. I powered down and in the morning saw the same blue crash screen as the day before (my computer boots up automatically at 6am).

Today the same scenario with restart, safe mode, restart, windows starts normally. There's some distortion of graphics on desktop and all applications, I have to unplug the wireless adapter and plug back in computer crashes to blue screen again when I try an internet search in Chrome.

This time I try starting in regular windows without the restart through safe mode and Windows will not boot. Unfortunately I didn't write down the exact wording, but it was along the lines of 'Windows was not started to protect from damage, restart in safe mode'. So back through that loop. I've now managed to start windows normally (except for the horizontal lines graphic distortion) and do the following:

1. Run a full virus scan with Avast, this came back with no errors.
2. Check recently modified files with windows explorer covering the last 3 days. Nothing out of the ordinary. I haven't installed anything new or unusual in the last several weeks. In fact I can only recall installing a new chrome extension.
3. Tried to update video card drivers, but system will crash before I'm able.

System froze when I tried to shut down from start menu.

SUMMARY: Windows 7
- computer has horizontal lines of graphic distortion. On boot screens they look like diagonal white lines made up of - characters. Once Windows boots, they look like horizontal lines of distortion like on an old tube TV.
- system has crashed 4 times. Twice I was not in the room, but returned to see it had crashed. One was while performing an internet search in Chrome, there was also a folder open and an antivirus scan. The other when launching a game.
- When windows starts normally there is no internet connection, have to disconnect and reconnect wireless adapter. Not sure if this is related, but it's a new problem as well.

Again any help is appreciated. I have pictures and a video. I'll try to figure out how to post them from a phone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users