Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to use the HDMI in with my PC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstar57

Blackstar57

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

Hello, I have an ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Motherboard in my computer. The IO panel has several in and out choices. I have my Monitor connected via the DVI socket and my LG TV connected to the HDMI out. Now, my question is how can I use the HDMI in connection?

I have an Android TV box with HDMI out that worked fine on my TV last time I used it (about 6 months ago) Today I thought I'd try to run it through my computer to update it and maybe pass it along to a friend. So when I connected everything I could see the extra display in the Display Settings but it says there's no signal.

I downloaded the A-Tuning utility which turns the HDMI on and off using "Alt C" but when I do this the screen goes black like it's switching but then returns to my PC screen.

Is this just the way these Android boxes work or am I doing something wrong?

If this is a restricted subject please disregard and delete my post.

Thank you for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

windows key + P   and you can either duplicate the screen or extend.  you probably want to do the extend that way both monitors so you can do different things

Duplicate just puts the exact same thing that's on your 1st screen to your 2nd screen.

#3 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:16 AM

windows key + P   and you can either duplicate the screen or extend.  you probably want to do the extend that way both monitors so you can do different things

Duplicate just puts the exact same thing that's on your 1st screen to your 2nd screen.

I think you misunderstood my question. I have those options in my display properties. I duplicate screens so that I can watch media from my computer on my 60" LG.

My query was how do I use the HDMI input in the motherboard of my compute to access my Android box on my computer monitor.  

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:25 PM

yeah i just saw that, sorry.

#5 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:12 PM

yeah i just saw that, sorry.

Saul Good Man ;)

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,682 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'd look very closely at the specs on that MOBO.  It would be unusual for it to have an HDMI INPUT but I guess you've got one.  Somewhere in the BIOS, as it is system and not software dependent, is the setting for all the ports detected and if not detected or not supported by that version of BIOS.  A system manual might lead to some hardware settings too.

Edited by mjd420nova, 17 September 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

"...try to run it through my computer to update it..."   I thought the HDMI port on a computer is output only.  I guess there are computer HDMI input ports now?

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Yes, Multimedia integration is becoming more flexible these days.

Blackstar, the most likely thing I can see is it looks to me like the HDMI In uses power from the HDMI, as it says it works when the computer is off, and the manual gives a reminder to use external power for any HDMI adapter if one is needed for an external device.

Maybe the Android TV Box device either doesn't implement the +5V HDMI supply, or doesn't supply enough current. If the Android box also has a Micro USB port, maybe you could try an MHL lead? There's an MHL compatibility check here:

http://www.mhltech.org/devices.aspx?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for the ideas Guys. Never thought of going to the site and downloading a user manual... (I've been working a lot of 12 hour night shifts... gotta have some excuse ;) )

I have to check the setting in the Bios.

Here's a link to my Motherboard. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87%20Extreme4/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users