Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sept. 11, 2001

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

Let us not forget those who were killed and injured in this act of violence.

https://www.britannica.com/event/September-11-attacks

Edited by The-Toolman, 11 September 2017 - 01:07 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:09 PM

Yes, I fly my flag at 1/2 staff today and pray for the families
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

"If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate."

Sandy Dahl, wife of pilot of Flight 93 Jason Dahl

candle.gif

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

September 11, 2001 has all kinds of strictly personal resonances for me that are the result of coincidences of my life.

The Flight 93 crash site is located not at all far from Indian Lake and Stoystown, where I spent many a happy summer at my Aunt's cottage.  It's also not very far from Johnstown, PA, my hometown.

As it happens I was employed by the Orange-Ulster BOCES in Goshen, NY, on 9/11/2001, and a great many of our students had parents who worked in Manhattan and several very close to or in the World Trade Center.   It was surreal to stay after school for hours as all this unfolded with our students whose parents did not show up at the bus stop at the usual time to pick them up, all the while wondering if we may have lost some of them.  As it happens, we didn't, everyone was eventually picked up by their parent(s) but that doesn't remove the memory of the overwhelming dread that was occurring that day.

When you add to this my sister lives in metropolitan Washington, DC, and no one knew if/when another plane might be directed at any random government facility in the area it got even weirder.

While I will not forget those who lost their lives on that horrible day and that we must be more vigilant than ever, I do try to forget the details of living through it with the circumstances that I was living through it under.  It is something I prefer to put in the past, for the most part.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

"If we learn nothing else from this tragedy, we learn that life is short and there is no time for hate."

Sandy Dahl, wife of pilot of Flight 93 Jason Dahl

candle.gif

If only all lived that philosophy.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:20 PM

While I will not forget those who lost their lives on that horrible day and that we must be more vigilant than ever, I do try to forget the details of living through it with the circumstances that I was living through it under.  It is something I prefer to put in the past, for the most part.

I totally agree.

I can still remember how I felt on another horrible day in Oklahoma City Oklahoma where a family member was killed through another act of violence.

So sad that all of the effort to destroy lives couldn't have been used for saving lives.

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:36 PM

The perverted thing is that terrorists oftentimes sincerely believe that they are saving lives, because they think that the USA and its people are the main source of pain and destruction in the world, therefore if you kill as many as you can, you are helping to further humanity.

The only terrorist attack ever in Bulgaria was carried out in the Summer of 2012. It happened at 17:23 at the airport, where my father worked as a bus driver. His shift began at 19:00. He was packing his stuff, getting ready for work, when we heard the news. I felt regretful joy. Pleasure from the narrow miss and regret for feeling lucky when others suffered.

All in all, terrorists are pretty simple creatures, I think - the classic idiots who want to spread their hate onto others. I'm a conservative, but I don't mind the increased surveillance these couple of years, as long as they don't bother you when you are at home and don't tape random citizens' phone calls. Too bad that now when NATO started doing better in Syria, defeating ISIS, more and more terrorists fled back to Europe and other places to cause harm.

I am sorry for all the direct and indirect victims of terrorism.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 11 September 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

These events took place, relative to the UK, in the early afternoon and I remember being as shocked as anyone by the tragedy as it unfolded.

But I have to ask, did these events justify the Patriot Act and the War on Terror ? 

If you look at the works of Vo Nguyen Giap and Mao Tse Tung you will see that one of the objectives of low level asymetrc war is to induce the attacked government to introduce increasingly repressive legislation in the sacred name of 'increasing security'. Increasingly repressive to the point where the normally supportive population turn against their government. I think that in this at least the perpetrators were successful.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

But I have to ask, did these events justify the Patriot Act and the War on Terror ? 

Chris,

You are far from the only person to ask this question, and many Americans have done so, too?

As for me and my house we answer, "No," and, "No."  I personally found the use of blatant political fear-mongering as a tool in the aftermath of 9/11 to be reprehensible. I still do, really.  Those two reactions have wrought as much, or more, damage than anything before them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

So far, the US government has spent about the same sum on War on Terror as the combined estimated cost of hurricane Harvey and Irma. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly so, war on terrorism is one of those topics where there is too much and conflicting information to form a justifiably hard opinion on. My only hope is that no government, especially the American one, actually financially supports and fuels terrorism in order to further military operations and thus give out defense projects to companies with ties to the government, enriching their owners in the process, and in turn those same firms donating to politicians of their same mindset and so on. That's the worst case scenario.

By the way, in football (soccer) there used to be a trend for streaking on major games by some crazy fans around the beginning of the 21ct century. Later, they decided that showing streakers on the TV when they do it, is forbidden. Gradually, this fashion wore off and I honestly haven't even heard of someone entering the pitch butt-naked in the past at least 5 years. Whenever there is a terrorist attack, the perpetrator is plastered all over the media for at least 5 days or more. I think that this creates a deadly competition between terrorists, who are more than glad to see themselves, if they aren't a suicide one, or their friends in this school of thought, on TV, seeking fame. My point is that whereas terrorist attacks should be talked about, the executors of them should remain non-talked about on the media.

Edited by Just_One_Question, 11 September 2017 - 07:21 PM.

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:17 PM

When it comes to killing and injuring innocent people nothing can justify such acts of any kind.

Edited by The-Toolman, 11 September 2017 - 08:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users