Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Class Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hopefully this is the right place. Last year I was ask to teach a Web Tech class for High School students. I know enough about html and css to get this done.

My weakness, networks.

My goal is to get a server, dedicated to this class, where students can upload a created website and any students can open and view the websites.

I want to keep things simple because I have a lot to learn. I’m thinking a Windows 10 Pro computer, IIS enabled. What other hardware would be needed?

All students have Chromebooks (that won’t work), Web Tech students will be getting Windows 10 computers. Is there anything special that these computers will need?

Can this server be set up to work within the school network so that my students can upload websites and any student on the school network can access those websites?

This is a small rural school; I cannot imagine more that 8 to 10 students in this class each year. I want to present my recommendations to the school board at the end of this month. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

Sorry, what do you want in real life, what's your problem? If You want to do about what You talked, ask your school headmaster, how it is possible and what You personally can do. Here ask, if You don't know why your computer don't work or how to repair damaged computer.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

Sorry, what do you want in real life, what's your problem? If You want to do about what You talked, ask your school headmaster, how it is possible and what You personally can do. Here ask, if You don't know why your computer don't work or how to repair damaged computer.

It is perfectly acceptable for a member to ask questions about how to accomplish something that the membership might be knowledgeable about.  This site is for technical support of all sorts, not just hardware, software, and infection related issues.

I can't be of any direct help, Ranger SVO, but someone who reads the Networking forum almost certainly will be able to point you in the right direction and/or increase your basic knowledge surrounding what it is you need to set up.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

Yes, this can be accomplished rather easily to. So my understanding is that you wish to host your student's test sites. Do you wish the sites to be accessed from outside the school's network?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

As arlattimor asked, the big question is will they need to be able to access the sites from outside the school network?  Personally I would stay away from this as the security required to have a server connected to the Internet is probably beyond the scope of your abilities since you're asking this question.  I'd just keep the server internal to the school.

The server has to run IIS and the client computers need whatever software you're going to be using for web design.  You can create a web page in Notepad if you want, but very few people have any desire to learn how to code HTML by hand.  I haven't played with a web sever since Win2K.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users