Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP. This is so weird Wi-Fi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 crabsunder

crabsunder

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

So noticed internet degrading recently and decided to start investigating. Called ISP, No problems. Started doing network diagnostics on my dual band router and noticed regular latency to the internet so started running pings directly to the gateway and sure enough ping times go from 2-5ms for about 6 pings then spike anywhere from 50ms to 150 ms for a few pings. DIRECTLY to the gateway. So decided must be the 2.4Ghz spectrum throwing interference switch to the 5Ghz spectrum. same problem. Think maybe traffic dumping so disconnect modem and connect directly to router to run pings only to router. Same thing. So i went and bought a new router/modem combo cause obviously the old equipment is messed up!!!! NOPE!!!! same exact problem with new router. So i ran a spectrum analysis and it did look dirty tried a few different channels on the 2.4Ghz spectrum and the 5Ghz spectrum nothing worked on either. I AM COMPLETELY STUMPED. mainly because of how consistent the drops happen. I ve even tried moving one of the routers literally into my lap to do network diagnostics and still same thing. SOMEONE HELPPPPP!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crabsunder

crabsunder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

sorry need to include that I also tried this test across multiple devices

#3 crabsunder

crabsunder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:33 AM

also at one point shut down every electronic device in the house as i thought a rogue print server or something may be throwing scrambling interference or something

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

so what happens if you disable the 5Ghz and run just the 2.4Ghz?

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

Ok, hard charger, what tools are you using to perform your analysis. From your earlier posts, it sounds as if you have already down a site survey ensuring you are not experiencing cross channel interference aka channel bleed. So now you have to look at other factors like absorption, reflection, scattering, refraction, and diffraction. Lets start narrowing the problem down.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 11:15 PM

channels 1,6 and 11 have no overlap.  Use one for the 2.4 and another for the 5.

you should also scan your area with something like ssider or xirrus wifi inspector so you can see what is going on wifi wise in your area

lets see a post of tracert yahoo.com

so we can determine where the breaks are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users