Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows freezes when restarting in Safe Mode.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JONES113

JONES113

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

My computer freezes every time I try to restart it from safe mode. The computer is also having issues staying connected to the internet when connected by Ethernet cable. At first I thought it was a malware infection, but my computer has received the all clear from another forum on this site. It was suggested I post a topic for help on this forum to deal with the crashes/Hangs. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. You may skip the part of step three where it instructs you to create a new topic, since you already have a topic here. There's no need to create another topic. :wink:

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

My computer freezes every time I try to restart it from safe mode.

I'm not exactly sure what that means. Why are you in safe mode? What happens when you try to boot normally? Please describe in detail. Thanks.

#4 JONES113

JONES113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BOuphDkCtQ5H5PKvKjk0w1I

Attached Files

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

As Allan asked, please provide us with more details about your problem. There was one BSOD with a 0x9F bugcheck in the uploaded report, and it flags athrx.sys, an Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter driver from 2014. I suspect it's related to your problems. Please reinstall it — **DOWNLOAD LINK** BTW, if possible, please uninstall it from the Control Panel FIRST, then reboot and run the freshly downloaded driver installation package. As always, PLEASE create a system restore point prior to do any work.

Since we don't have any information about your problems, I can only suggest you start with these free hardware diagnostics for now and ensure you have ALL available Windows Updates. Please run ALL the hardware tests and me know the outcome. If you have question regarding the diagnostics, feel free to ask them.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#6 JONES113

JONES113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:22 PM

I was receiving help in another forum because I could not connect to the internet via my wireless connection, no networks would even show up. I had an inconsistent connection using my Ethernet adaptor. I assumed it was malware limiting my access. As we were going through the steps to repair the issue there was a hang when asked to boot into safe mode. I was referred to this forum as I did not have a malware issue.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

Okay, please tell me whether if I'm understanding your situation correctly. The following are your problems:

• unable to use Wi-Fi
  • Ethernet connection cuts in and out
  • computer hangs when you boot into Safe Mode

When does your computer hangs when it boots into Safe Mode? Does it hang at the login screen, or when Windows shows what drivers it's loading? Please run Autoruns:

:step1: Autoruns by Sysinternals

• Download and save Autoruns from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the file.
  • Right-click on Autoruns64.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • Wait for a minute or so, then go to File, Save..., and save the file to your Desktop. Use the default name and ensure that the file extension while saving is .arn.
  • Zip and attach the .arn file in your next post.

DO NOT attach the same Autoruns file you generated in the MRL forum please.

I suggest you run the hardware diagnostics that I linked earlier. If you're short on time just run the RAM + HDD diagnostics.

Lots of errors relating to your Synaptics TouchPad drivers... please reinstall them: http://files.ecp.toshiba.com/2016/08/19/1348/14/tc40213500e.exe If possible, please uninstall it from the Control Panel FIRST, then reboot and run the freshly downloaded driver installation package. As always, PLEASE create a system restore point prior to do any work.

If you have the time (and experience), please also proceed to update your BIOS with the newer version listed on Toshiba's website.

Edited by bwv848, 12 September 2017 - 02:59 PM.

#8 JONES113

JONES113
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

The Wifi is working again, fixed in another forum. Ethernet connection still cuts in and out and safe mode freezes on the screen that says shutting down. I'm working on reinstalling synaptics drivers.

Attached Files

• Attached File  WORK.zip   284.52KB   1 downloads

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 03:37 PM

When you go back and forth among forums we have no way of knowing what advice you been given or followed. Makes things very confusing for all concerned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users