Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help...BCD Issue, have tried a bunch of stuff with no luck

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 arip1979

arip1979

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:54 AM

Hello,

This issue is driving me crazy so any help is much appreciated.

ASUS N550JV running Windows 10

Current State of Laptop:

1. ASUS start screen blinks then goes to "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" (NOTE: This is after I disabled Secure Boot Control and enabled Launch CSM, before it would just go right to BIOS)

2. If I go to BIOS (Aptio Setup Utility) I can see the HDD as a boot option. The only other boot option listed is the DVD drive which I think is broken. (NOTE: Before I disabled Secure Boot Control and enabled Launch CSM, I didn't see any boot options at all)

Now I'll give a brief description of what happened. My wife was online and Firefox was acting up. She hit CTRL+ALT+DEL which brought up the "Preparing Security Options" with the spinning balls. However, the balls just kept on spinning and it was stuck there for a while. She decided to use the power button to do a hard reset. When the computer booted again it came to the blue screen saying:

Recovery

Your PC/Device Needs to be repaired

The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system.

File: \Boot\BCD

Error code: 0xc0000098

You'll need to use recovery tools. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

After hard resetting again, it just started going into the Aptio Setup Utility. Then I did some googling and found the info for disabling Secure Boot Control and enabling Launch CSM. That brings us to where we are currently (1 and 2 above).

So that's where I am and how I got here, now here's what I've tried:

1. Created a Hirens.BootCD.15.2 USB stick and booted into mini Windows XP

a. I can't see any drives is disk management except for the USB drive

b. Using CMD I can't see any drives in DISKPART

2. Created a Windows 10 Install/Recovery USB stick and booted into the "Repair your computer" option

a. System Restore doesn't work since I can't select/find the operating system

b. System Image Recovery doesn't work since there are no system image backups available

c. Startup Repair goes to "Diagnosing your..." but when it reboots it goes to the BSOD with the same Recovery message above (same error code 0xc0000098)

i. I have a question about that, did whatever the issue is (virus or something) kill my USB Windows 10 stick as well? Or is it just bypassing the stick and booting from the corrupted HDD because I'm no longer able to boot from the stick until I rewrite the ISO?

d. The CMD option seems to be the most helpful

i. DISKPART shows the corrupted HDD and the USB drive, can I do anything useful in DISKPART? Besides erasing :)

ii. I've tried doing "bcdboot C:\Windows" but I get the following error message "Failure attempting to copy boot files."

iii. Drive X is Boot and Drive C is the Recovery ISO, should I be able to access the corrupted HDD somehow? Or is it the X: drive?

iv. When I try chkdsk /f on the X: drive I get "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

v. Tried "bootrec /rebuildbcd" and I get "Total identified windows installations: 0"

vi. Also tried "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows\ and got "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

Maybe I'm doing things in the wrong order or on the wrong drive letter. Is there any hope to recover anything without completely reinstalling Windows? Will it allow me to reinstall and save some of the files? I think I have most of the files backed up on another laptop and an external drive but there might be some newer files that were not backed up and I'd like to save what I can.

Thanks again for any help on this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arip1979

arip1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

UPDATE: I did a little more research and found out about TestDisk. Since it's included with Hirens, I booted up with the Hirens USB stick and was at least able to see that the HDD partitions are still there. I was also able to navigate the partitions and see that the files are all there.

I'm guessing TestDisk features will be able to solve my issue, I just don't know exactly what do do.

This is what I have for Partition info:

Partition                        Start                  End                Size in sectors

D FAT32                       0   32 33         12  223  19         204800  [SYSTEM]

D HPFS - NTFS          12 223 20       127  155  28       1843200  [Recovery]

D HPFS - NTFS        143 236 30   48739  184  21   780691456  [OS]

D HPFS - NTFS    48739 184 22   48784    87    7         716800

D HPFS - NTFS    48784   87   8   118989    30  17  1127839744 [DATA]

D HPFS - NTFS    118989   30 18   121601    57  56     41963520 [Restore]

I'm assuming I need to do more than just assign the right type for each partition and that I need to repair something to allow me to boot properly. Just not sure how to do that.

Thanks in advance.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,588 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

Created a Hirens.BootCD.15.2 USB stick and booted into mini Windows XP

a. I can't see any drives is disk management except for the USB drive

XP cannot see GPT disks which are needed to boot on a UEFI computer with SecureBoot.

Disable Legacy/CSM boot and enable UEFI boot. Boot your Windows 10 install disk or USB. Tap F8 at boot to select your boot device. Do a Startup Repair. It may take three attempts.

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-computer-in-windows-10.html

If Startup Repair does not work then you will need to repair the EFI partition manually per this guide. It's for Windows 8 but the steps are the same for Windows 10. If diskpart cannot see the partitions then the next step would be booting a live linux disk.

http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

When I try chkdsk /f on the X: drive I get "Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

I believe this is due to the hibernation file that Windows 10 uses for fast startup

You could pull your most personal data off the drive using a live linux disk like Mint Cinnamon. It would be the drive in read only mode because of the hibernation file but you would still be able to pull the data.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

TestDisk would be the last option to recover the partition table but you can also use it to copy files/folders to an external drive.  From the Testdisk output yuo posted: Any partition with a D preceding it means the partition is deleted but I am not sure why it's showing such. If you highlight a partition and press the "P" key you should see your files. Pressing ":" would allow you to select files/directories. Pressing "C" and "C" again would copy the files/directories to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to. If you have an empty external unzip Testdisk to a folder on the External because the default location for recovery is the Testdisk folder.

I believe your first priority is recovering your most important data files. After that you can try repairing the EFI partition using Startup Repair, manually rebuilding the EFI partition, and then Testdisk to attempt to write a new partition table in that order.

#4 arip1979

arip1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

Ok,

Starting at the top of your response.

Disable Legacy/CSM boot and enable UEFI boot. Boot your Windows 10 install disk or USB. Tap F8 at boot to select your boot device. Do a Startup Repair. It may take three attempts.

These are my options for "Boot Configuration" in my BIOS:

Fast Boot [Disabled]

Launch CSM [Disabled]

When I have these both disabled the computer boots into BIOS ever time....even when I hit F8 and have a USB drive inserted.

When I set Launch CSM to "Enabled" then "Boot Configuration" changes to this:

Launch CSM [Enabled]

Launch PXE OpROM policy [Disabled]

With these settings I'm able to boot from the USB drive(s). So I'm not sure how to do what you said, "Disable Legacy/CSM boot and enable UEFI boot".

You also said

Do a Startup Repair. It may take three attempts.

When I do a startup repair with the Windows 10 USB I only get one try and then I have to rewrite the ISO to the USB drive. What happens is it says it's diagnosing and then attempting the repair but when it reboots it tries to boot from the USB drive again but doesn't make it to Windows 10, instead it goes right to that "Recovery your PC/Device needs to be repaired....." with the same BCD error 0xc0000098. So it seems the Windows 10 ISO is being damaged as well. Is that correct?

I'll keep trying different things while I'm waiting for you're response. This stuff is all pretty new to me. I'm a technical person but haven't done much of this stuff.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, also....within TestDisk I've tried copying files by pressing "C" and then "C" again but when I put the USB drive in my other laptop the files that I copied aren't there. Not sure what that's about either.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,588 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

The USB should not be damaged unless were talking about a hardware issue with the USB ports and I doubt that. A Windows 10 install disk should be able to boot with UEFI enabled as this is required. If you installed with CSM boot enabled then Windows 10 would not be able to use UEFI mode of the motherboard. Also CSM mode requires the disk to be MBR and not GPT. 

What program did you use to create the bootable USB?

For Testdisk did you use a bootable linux disk? 

#6 arip1979

arip1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

The USB should not be damaged unless were talking about a hardware issue with the USB ports and I doubt that.

I doubt that as well. I don't know exactly what's going on but I know once I try the repair on the USB it only works once. Then I have to rewrite the ISO to get it to boot to WIndows 10 repair again. The only other thing I can think of is that after the repair attempt it's trying to boot from the HDD and failing.

A Windows 10 install disk should be able to boot with UEFI enabled as this is required. If you installed with CSM boot enabled then Windows 10 would not be able to use UEFI mode of the motherboard. Also CSM mode requires the disk to be MBR and not GPT.

Ok, would UEFI mode be the default boot option? Because I don't see and option in my Aptio Setup Utility (BIOS) to select UEFI. When I have "Secure Boot Control" enabled all I get is an infinite boot loop into the BIOS. The only way I was able to boot from the USB stick(s) was by disabling Secure Boot Control and then enabling "Launch CSM". After enabling Launch CSM I get the option to enable "Launch PXE OpROM policy" which has the following description:

"Controls the execution of UEFI and Legacy PXE OpROM"

What program did you use to create the bootable USB?

Rufus (both for the Windows 10 USB and the Hirens)

For Testdisk did you use a bootable linux disk?

I'm using the version that is included with Hirens.BootCD.15.2. So I have Hirens on one of the bootable USB drives and I get into TestDisk from there.

I tried again copying a file from TestDisk onto the USB drive but when I put it in my other laptop it's nowhere to be found. When I choose the copy destination I'm choosing the '.' directory, which I assume is the root of the drive.

I think I have most of my files that I would need (though I'm not sure of this so I wouldn't even know what files to retrieve). So right now I'd really like to try to get this laptop running again since it was our main machine (e.g. streaming videos to the TV, updating ipods with itunes libraries, etc.). The other laptop (the one I'm on now) is just a small one that I take with me and doesn't have the itunes libraries or other things we regularly use. So my main focus is getting this other laptop up and running. Obviously the files are in tact since I can see them through test disk so that's not my first concern. The other thing is I'm not even sure at this point if I could just reinstall Windows 10 since it can't find the OS to do the "upgrade".

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,588 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

If you have SecureBoot then then this is a computer with UEFI. I have heard of issues with the Aptio Setup Utility. I think your problem is Hirens and mini XP.

I would boot UBCD. Click the hard drive icon, not the mirror link. You will need to use CSM boot to boot UBCD. Select Partition Wizard from the menu. At the Partition Wizard desktop attach your bad drive and a USB external drive. Mount the drives per this guide. Once your recovery drive is mounted create a folder on the drive called recover or anything you wish. Your drives are in the upper left pane and labeled sda, sdb, etc. the number suffix is the partition number.  Double click the folder and in a the menu bar select File > Terminal. In the terminal type testdisk, all lowercase, to start testdisk. Do the scan you normally did. Highlight the partition and then press "P" to list your files. You can select individual files or folders using ":" or you can use lower case "a" to select all files and folders. Press "C" to copy and "C" to confirm. Edit: By default the recovered files will go to the recover folder on your recovery drive.

Once the files are recovered you can hopefully boot a Windows 10 install DVD or USB flash drive and do a clean install. Your license is on Microsoft servers and the OS will activate once online. You can get the latest Windows 10 version using the Media Creation Tool. Windows 10 does not need to see another OS to do a clean install.

I don't know how you created the bootable USB flash drive but I would download an iso using the above Media Creation Tool and use Rufus. Run it on the desktop. Make sure you use GPT partition scheme on the dropdown box. Leave all boxes as checked.  If you see FreeDos select iso image in the dropdown, click the icon and browse to the iso file. Press Start. Preferably you can burn a DVD instead by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk image on any Windows 7 or later computer.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 September 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#8 arip1979

arip1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

Rufus won't let me select anything other that "MBR partition scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM" for the "Partition scheme and target system type" for all of the ISOs (UBCD, Hirens, & Windows 10). If I try to select "GPT partition scheme for UEFI" it says "When using UEFI Target Type, only EFI bootable ISO images are supported. Please select and EFI bootable ISO or set the Target Type to BIOS."

I'm going to try UBCD anyway but not with GPT selected as you said. I'll give the mounting of drives a shot.

You can get the latest Windows 10 version using the Media Creation Tool. Windows 10 does not need to see another OS to do a clean install.

I have this already. I didn't want to do a clean install until I was sure I have all my files. I did try to do an "upgrade" but since it can't see the OS it couldn't do it. That's why I'm hoping to get the OS "visible" so I can recover all my apps/settings/etc. but a clean install might be my only option.

Thanks.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,588 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

The Windows 10 iso is supposed to be EFI bootable. I am not sure why you cannot select GPT. If you download the Mint Cinnamon iso does it allow you to select GPT?

Download UBCD and follow the instruction posted using Testdisk on Parted Magic. I am going out and will be back in about a couple of hours.

#10 arip1979

arip1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Parted Magic is not seeing the HDD.

The only options I have when I go into Mount is the USB stick and a grayed out DVD drive because there's no media in it. When I open a file explorer (excuse the windows term, not super familiar with Linux :grinner: ) I can see "sda 932G ---" (which I think is the HDD) but I can't select it.

TestDisk (from within Parted Magic) is able to see the files on the HDD as well.

#11 arip1979

arip1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

Did the "Short Self-test" in Disk Health (SMART) and that drive failed with an electrical failure. Does that mean the drive is toast at this point?

#12 arip1979

arip1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

Found a google result where someone else got the same results but their drive was working fine. So maybe there's still hope.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,588 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

It may be the connection between the drive and the motherboard. lf you can see your files in testdisk,  attach another USB external drive and start testdisk from it as I posted? Then try to copy a few files to the USB external. If all you have is the USB boot stick then create a folder on it with Parted Magic. Double click the folder. Select File > Terminal. Start Testdisk. Select a couple of small files with ":".  Copy the files. Shut down and attach the USB stick to another computer. Do you see your files in the folder you created on the USB stick.

You may need to pull the drive and use testdisk on another computer. Use a USB adapter like this one.

#14 arip1979

arip1979
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

The Windows 10 iso is supposed to be EFI bootable. I am not sure why you cannot select GPT. If you download the Mint Cinnamon iso does it allow you to select GPT?

Mint Cinnamon is fine with Rufus on GPT setting. Not sure why UBCD, Hirens, and Windows 10 are not "allowed" in GPT mode. Do I have the wrong ISO? For Windows I used the Media Creation Tool so I don't have much of a choice.

Still hoping to be able to repair the MBR and/or BCD and get this thing working.

Thanks for your help. Not sure what you do for a living or if you have a family (or how old you are) for that matter but I appreciate you sacrificing your time to reply to me. Worst case scenario, I've learned a lot by trying to fix this busted laptop :)

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,588 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

Don't worry about my time. :)

I think something is going on with the Windows 10 iso file. I'm going to download the iso when I get a chance and see if rufus will allow GPT. Can you start Testdisk in Parted Magic as I posted and see if you see your files and copy a few? I was trying to concentrate on getting the files because writing a partition table in Parted Magic can go bad. Get the files then we can try repairing the BCD but if Parted Magic doesn't see the hard drive and Disk Health failed the options are limited. 

As posted you may need to pull the drive and attach it to another computer via the USB adapter and work with Testdisk for Windows on the disk.

Note: UBCD and Hirens cannot boot UEFI as far as I know. Windows 10 and all modern linux distros should boot with Rufus selecting GPT partition on UEFI.

You can get a pure iso file of Windows 10 using this tool. Pick your version of Windows 10. Does Rufus allow GPT?

Edit: When using the above tool pick Windows 10 Home/Pro. Both versions are on the disk. When doing a clean install you will need to provide a generic key depending on if your version is Home or Pro. After installation Windows will activate with your digital license.

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 September 2017 - 12:15 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users