Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C: & C (E:) Drive

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 jarens

jarens

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

Would like some advice please, I have installed a second drive 500GB due to drive C: is almost full, there are 62,5 GB left over of 500 GB, now I’ve moved some files 43,4 GB to the second drive. There are 11 files left-over  on the C: drive, if I right click on these 11 files for properties I will see 52,5 GB, that is being used, I’m a bit confused here. That means that the main drive has a lot space left?? but looking at the collar of the disk it’s 80% bleu, don’t make sense to me. I hope some one understand what I’m trying say here, oh btw my computer is a desktop.

Kind regards

Joop  

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2017 - 07:23 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:11 AM

There are 11 files left-over  on the C: drive, if I right click on these 11 files for properties I will see 52,5 GB, that is being used

that means those 11 files contain 52.5 GB of data,

so if you move those files you will have moved 52.5 GB + your original 43 GB....in total you would have moved about 97 GB

you originally had about 62 GB free on the drive, so now you should have about 160 GB free on the original drive

#3 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:15 AM

Mikey, what I don’t understand is, that I don’t have 160 Gig free, there are only 62, so were do I find the rest, also the 11 files with data of course  occupying the drive does not amount to over 400 Gig, or am I seeing this wrong, please correct me.

Joop 

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:18 AM

after you copy the files to the new drive you will need to delete them off the old drive,

you are only copying them to the new drive, you are not moving them,

the files will still stay on the original drive unless you delete them

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:52 PM

It is a characteristic of the Windows OS that if you 'move' files from one drive or partition to another drive or partition to you do not in fact 'move' them, you copy them. The original file stays where it was taking up exactly as much space as it ever did. This applies to any moving technique in Windows - the files are copied, not moved.

mikey11 is entirely correct when he says that once you have 'moved' these files and have checked that they have all 'moved' - and you can do that by checkiing folder properties, the folders should be the same size - you have to delete the originals to create space. On top of that, if you use the Recycle Bin as most Windows users seem to, you have to empty that to actually delete the files and create empty space on the hard drive.

'Move' only works as a move command inside the one drive or partition, between any other drives or partitions what you actually get is a 'copy'. This is a hangover from way back when computers typically only had one drive for storing data on.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:23 AM

Mikey, Chris,

I have been in a mess by trying to move and copy and deleting files from C: HD to C:(E:) HD, I’m not quit happy yet, what is bothering me now is C: drive is showing in red with only 52 gig left.

Have not gain any space on the main drive by all this moving around?.

I wonder what will happen when the C: drive is really full.

Sorry you haven’t heard from sooner.

Greetings

Joop

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

I think it is time for a picture !  Open Windows Explorer and open the 'Properties' panel for your C:\ drive (the one with your OS on). Once properties is open, open the snipping tool - 'Start - All programs - Accessories - Snipping tool' - wait for it to activate then draw a box around the properties panel. Once you have got the box drawn a small window will form with your snipped image in it, click 'File - Save as' and give it a name, the default of 'Capture' will do fine, and save it somewhere where you can find it easily, then post the snipped image into your next post. You should finish up with something that looks like this -

Attached File  Capture.PNG   17.74KB   0 downloads

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:15 AM

I couldn,t add the file to this reply, but was sent by e-mail, hope you received it.

Joop

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:52 AM

To post an attachment...go to the Reply To This Topic box...click More Reply Options button at lower right...upload the attachment.by using the Attach Files section that becomes visible at bottom of Reply box.

Louis

#10 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 08:57 AM

How about ths Gentleman.

Joop

Attached Files

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

Go to Disk Management...Start/Run/diskmgmt.msc, hit Enter...and post a screenshot with the data for all drives.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2017 - 11:22 AM.

#12 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:58 AM

How about this Louis, hope this is what you mean.

Joop

Attached Files

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 08:51 AM

Where is the rest of the lower portion of the screenshot?  I want to see the data for all drives, upper and lower portions of the screen.

Louis

#14 jarens

jarens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

Sorry about that Louis, hope this is it?

Attached Files

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:19 PM

Louis, there is something seriously weird going on here.

On Sep 11, #1, he had 62 Gb free after he moved 43Gb to the E:\ drive. The disk management shot, #14, shows 39 Gb free in C:\ and 65 Gb in E:\. that's an increase of 45Gb of data in 5 days, that's an awful lot of data. Since the OP does not suggest he is involved in video production or high intensity photo shoots it is difficult to imagine where this data is coming from.

Malware ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users