Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is COM and if it's corrupted what can I do?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Knat

Knat

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:32 AM

I can't uninstall the expired antimalware program that came with my PC (McAfee). When I run the McAfee Virtual Technician to check for errors and try to repair the program so it will uninstall correctly, it finds a large number of errors with COM files missing, and it cannot repair these errors. MVT saves as two IE pages, which cannot be uploaded here.

Some time back, I recall seeing an error message--I do not recall how I got to it--that something, it seems like it was COM+, was not assigned to my account.

I just got through sending my machine back to factory for repair. They replaced the thermal module and hard drive, and reimaged the SSD harddrive. Not sure if that fixed the other problems I was complaining of, but it didn't fix the COM (whatever that is).

Installing Windows updates and updating C++ 2013 didn't seem to help (because there is not too much else I could find out of date). C++ 2015 appears to be present and not updated but it wants a login to get it so I assume they expect an actual developer to be getting this, not someone who likes to poke around in their settings but doesn't actually know a lot about computers, beyond how to use them.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:50 AM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

To remove McAfee use the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR) tool they provide on the following link (Step2): https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Edited by SleepyDude, 11 September 2017 - 05:51 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Knat

Knat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:51 AM

I forgot to mention I already tried that. It stalls out.

#4 Knat

Knat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

Now I am getting a message about my SQL server having an error.

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,176 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

I forgot to mention I already tried that. It stalls out.

Boot into Safe Mode and try to run the tool.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Edited by SleepyDude, 11 September 2017 - 06:24 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 Knat

Knat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:01 AM

It worked in Safe Mode.  :)

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,176 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:05 AM

It worked in Safe Mode.  :)

Good.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users