Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 HD's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

Good Afternoon All

Sorry about the title but I have two HD in my computer and what to play a game on the HD that's not the main drive the OS is windows 10. So my question is do I have to change to the second drive which has windows 8? to play the game

John

An Australian Living in the USA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

If you have WIN 10 on one drive and WIN 8 on the other and Dual Boot , you can install the Game to either Operating System.

If you Boot into Win 10 and wish to install the Game on the second drive { due to Drive Space } it is possible and others experts can guide you to the correct method.

Personally i dont see the Point complicating things , unless the Game has issues on Win 10 or driver issues , then just boot into Win 8 , Install , and play.

#3 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

If you have WIN 10 on one drive and WIN 8 on the other and Dual Boot , you can install the Game to either Operating System.

If you Boot into Win 10 and wish to install the Game on the second drive { due to Drive Space } it is possible and others experts can guide you to the correct method.

Personally i dont see the Point complicating things , unless the Game has issues on Win 10 or driver issues , then just boot into Win 8 , Install , and play.

The problem is that the games I have on the other drive will not run on windows 10

John

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:15 PM

1/ ? Are you Dual Booting.

2/ If you installed any Games on the Win 8 Drive eg within "Programs and Features" initially , and now you boot into Win 10 then you cant play those Games because the Install Files for the game relate to Win 8 only.

#5 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

1/ ? Are you Dual Booting.

NO

2/ If you installed any Games on the Win 8 Drive eg within "Programs and Features" initially , and now you boot into Win 10 then you cant play those Games because the Install Files for the game relate to Win 8 only.

I was just wondering if I have to restart the computer to run from the other drive if that makes sense  

John

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

By the sound of this what you'll want to do is to, each time you start up the system, go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the order in which the drives boot so you can pick the one you want to be the first when you want it. There are also methods that by which can get the boot loader to pause a few seconds and let you use the arrow keys to choose between the options for which drive to boot from, but these are trickier to do.

You'll have to install programs on whichever OS they work with, for programs to be used by both OS's you'll have to install them on both drives. While it might in theory be possible to get the OS on one of the drives to look on the other drive when you want to run a program on that other drive it will often be the case that the program needs to be given different settings and such for each OS which it is to be run on.

Personal files could be stored on either drive, and read and written from whichever OS gets booted, although this might need a bit mroe work in cases where one or the other drive has full disk encryption.

Edited by rp88, 15 September 2017 - 12:16 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 181 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:09 PM

By the sound of this what you'll want to do is to, each time you start up the system, go into the BIOS/UEFI and change the order in which the drives boot so you can pick the one you want to be the first when you want it. There are also methods that by which can get the boot loader to pause a few seconds and let you use the arrow keys to choose between the options for which drive to boot from, but these are trickier to do.

You'll have to install programs on whichever OS they work with, for programs to be used by both OS's you'll have to install them on both drives. While it might in theory be possible to get the OS on one of the drives to look on the other drive when you want to run a program on that other drive it will often be the case that the program needs to be given different settings and such for each OS which it is to be run on.

Personal files could be stored on either drive, and read and written from whichever OS gets booted, although this might need a bit mroe work in cases where one or the other drive has full disk encryption.

Thank you

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users