Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Asus K501L internal monitor not being detected - external monitor works

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 NuclearCherry

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:56 PM

The internal monitor on my Asus laptop is no longer being detected. When I turn on the laptop, the screen doesn't come on or light up, it just remains off. I connected a TV through an HDMI cable, and that works perfectly fine. Windows key + P doesn't do anything, it just auto selects "PC Screen Only", and it can't be changed, it just automatically goes back to PC screen only, because only one monitor is being detected. In my display settings, no second screen can be detected - the external monitor is identified as the primary and only screen. Device manager shows the only monitor as "Generic PnP monitor". I'm running Windows 10 on an Asus K501L, any help would be greatly appreciated.

So far, I've checked my drivers and tried taking the battery out and holding the power button down. Neither seemed to work

Edited by NuclearCherry, 10 September 2017 - 04:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,161 posts
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Hi NucleaCherry and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Has anyone opened the case of this laptop?

It's possible that the backlight needs to be replaced.  This would cause the black screen yet allow you to connect an external monitor to use. 

When the computer is one take a bright flashlight and shine it on the screen to see if anything is visible.  If you can see the desktop this would indicate that the backlight needs to be replaced.

If you don't see anything it's possible that the inverter needs to be replaced.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users