Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Feldom

Feldom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:10 PM

I am new at Linux
What i want to learn is how to install programs,songs...etc at Linux.I use Fedora Core 5.They told me to use yum but if doesnt work
actually it works but it works only for programs that I can install from the Add/Remove Software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Feldom

Feldom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:42 AM

if=it

#3 kbk

kbk

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:33 PM

What are you trying to install? For things that you can't get from YUM, you will probably have to become root and chmod them and then ./programname. That's how I have to do it at least.. Hope this helps.
www.thisisbeyondbelief.com

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Yum is to install new programs and check for updates to existing programs installed by yum. Also not all programs are part of the core Yum repository. You can also use Dag which may contain other programs that you can install. To add Dag to yum, do the following:

Type the following:

cd /etc/yum.repos.d
vi dag.repo

Add the text in the quote below to dag.repo and save the file by typeing :wq and pressing enter.

[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el$releasever/en/$basearch/dag
gpgcheck=1
enabled=1

Now you need to install the dag key by typeing the following and pressing enter:

rpm --import http://dag.wieers.com/packages/RPM-GPG-KEY.dag.txt

Now when you use Yum it will also check the Dag repository.
When you say new songs I am not sure what you mean?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users