Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Mouse without Dongle - Can I replace without Throwing it out?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mizmelzy76

mizmelzy76

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

I just purchased a wireless mouse a few weeks ago. It came in without a dongle for it. I contacted the seller who wouldn't replace it or send the dongle. I didn't have to send him the mouse back. And he refunded me the money. So now I have a mouse without a dongle.  It says it's a 2.4ghz from the description.  And I have another wireless mouse with a 2.4ghz dongle. But it doesn't work with it. So either it's not truly 2.4ghz  or it doesn't work with the dongle I have.  I really do not want to throw out a perfectly good working mouse just because there is no dongle. I've tried searching online to see if I could find one that might work with it. But all that comes up is a Logitech unifying receiver but it's for Logitech keyboard and mice.  This is a non branded one that probably came from china. I didn't want an expensive mouse because it's for an old laptop that the hard drive is probably starting to go. So it's used just for searching the internet and hooking it up to the TV to watch movies and the track pad and buttons no longer work. I have another one that's a year old that is my main computer. I don't want to have to buy another mouse when I have one that is working if I can find a dongle that will work with it.

Any help would be appreciated. The laptop I'm trying to get it to work on is a Dell Studio 15  with Windows 7.  It really had nothing to do with the computer and everything to do with finding a dongle that will communicate to the mouse and work with it.

Thank you!

Melissa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

The mouse & it's dongle are generally a matched pair & the dongle cannot be replaced. So the mouse is scrap.

There are exceptions to this such as the Logitech "unifying" products - but even these only work with other compatible Logitech products. 

#3 mizmelzy76

mizmelzy76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

What if I purchased another mouse the same as the one I have.?  So it's an identical mouse with a receiver.  Would they both work with it or is it paired to that specific mouse and each one is completely different?  I didn't pay much for it. But I know it's a working mouse, it just irritates the snot out of me I have to throw a perfectly good working mouse away because there is no receiver.  Some company made this for absolutely nothing and it's going to sit in a landfill. 

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:32 PM

"What if I purchased another mouse the same as the one I have.?"

There will only be so many "combinations" so it is perhaps possible that you would get a matching dongle but I suspect that is highly unlikely. If it was cheap why not try getting an identical mouse - you should end up with at least one working mouse that way.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

They work on discrete frequencies. So a keyboard and mouse bought together will work on the one dongle, but a mouse bought separately to replace one that died probably will not. Since there are only a limited number of frequencies you would eventually hit on one that did work but that could be quite a few mice down the road. This is what happened to me when the mouse from a keyboard/mouse combo failed. I bought another mouse from the same maker in the innocent hope that it would work with the same dongle. It didn't.

Just a stray thought, the dongle isn't inside the mouse is it ?  There is usually a carrying slot for the dongle on the bottom of the mouse.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 10 September 2017 - 04:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users