Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install Windows 10 on new HDD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ShadowX1

ShadowX1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

I built my PC. It was working fine until a couple of days ago when the HDD stopped working. Everything in my PC is new except the HDD, so I bought a new HDD 1TB(WD10EZEX). When I go into the BIOS, the system recognizes the new HDD. I tried to install WIN 10 and get an error message that says "we couldn't install windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive. here's more info about what happened :0x80300002." I tried it using these command prompts:
Diskpart
List Disk
Select Disk 0
Clean
And got the same error. I tried adding Create Partition Primary or Create Partition Primary Size=100000. And got this error in the command prompt that says "Diskpart has encountered an error: Data error (cyclic redundancy check). See the system Event log for more information." 

I tried new SATA cables and different SATA ports and still got the same error messages. My BIOS is in AHCI mode and it does not let me change it. My motherboard is MSI B150 Mortar. I do not have other SATA cables plugged in. Do you guys think the HDD is DOA? Or am I just missing something? 

I am using a USB to install WIN 10. I formatted the USB and made new WIN 10 Bootable USB and still got the same error messages. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ShadowX1, 10 September 2017 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

I'm not sure this will help but start by setting your UEFI back to default. Make sure you are set on UEFI boot and not Legacy. I would check you are using AHCI mode also.

Boot your Windows 10 USB and at the screen that shows language press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt.

Type

diskpart

list disk

select disk 0

clean

convert GPT     This is required on a clean drive if booting a UEFI computer.

exit

exit

continue with the install.

#3 ShadowX1

ShadowX1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:49 PM

I tried that and still get the redundancy error. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

Download the Media Creation Tool and select the iso download. Download Rufus to the desktop of the computer you downloaded the Windows 10 iso. Select GPT partition scheme in the drop down box. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the small icon and browse to the iso file. Press Start.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If you still get a redundancy error then the problem is the drive or motherboard if you tried a new sata cable and port.

#5 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:45 PM

Perhaps the new HDD is bad.  It happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users