Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update has stopped desktop working, why?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

Has anyone one else experienced this? The latest update on windows ten went through on my pc, but now all my icons on the desktop won't work. Also I can't shut the pc down as the window icon on my start bar isn't responding. I am using a friends laptop to type this.

I need a new pc anyway, but is there anyway I can fix this please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:29 PM

My guess is that the update did what I call "burping" and did not complete successfully.

Does CTRL+ALT+DEL still bring up the screen where you can choose to Lock or Switch User, etc.?  If it does you can tab to the power button there, hit enter, and your choices will come up as far as shutdown options.

This is a case where I might be inclined to just do a "Hard Shutdown" [hold your power button in for however many seconds it takes until the machine powers off, and it will] if the above does not work.

I would also consider rolling back to the previous build in the Update & Security Settings (I can't recall which panel, and I'm way too far after the update to Version 1703 for that option to appear for me anymore) if you're able to log in, then follow these instructions to try to reapply the update:  Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:00 PM

Not sure how to roll back really, I think lots of people are having problems :) 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

See if you can do the following.

Press the Windows key windows-key.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens type in control, the click/tap on K.

In the Control Panel select Programs and Features

In the upper left portion go the screen you will see View install updates, click/tap on this.

Right click on the latest update and select uninstall.

After this is done manually download the update you just uninstalled.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 01:34 PM

Louise,

dc3's response also brings up an important point.  I was presuming you meant a major version update while you may be talking about simply a regular Windows update.  The method he mentions is what to use for a regular Windows Update.

I do not know if it works for a major update (from version to version) as I have always used the "Roll Back to Previous Build" (I think that's the phrasing used) in the Update and Security settings of Windows 10.  This option is presented for approximately 2 weeks after a version update has been applied.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:54 AM

Hi this was a regular windows update.  I will have to save up for a new PC anyway because it still has it's 32 bit processor, and i'm looking for a 64 bit processor.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 LouiseTopp

LouiseTopp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:07 PM

Hi I would use it but when i click on the internet icon, nothing happens....

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 12:40 PM

If you click/tap on the link which is highlighted in blue, this will open a website where you can download the Speccy.

Edited by dc3, 12 September 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

If you click/tap on the link which is highlighted in blue, this will open a website where you can download the Speccy.

How is that going to help her when she is on her friend's PC?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

I'm not completely clear on what exactly you can do with this computer.  Let's see if you can use the Task Manager to open a browser.

Right click on the Taskbar and select Task Manager.

In the Task Manager click/tap on File and select Run new task.

In the search box that opens type in the browser you would like to use, the click/tap on OK.

#12 xForesighted

xForesighted

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:58 AM

Here's how you can get into a browser without clicking on the icons and stuff.

1) Press Windows Key+R to open Run.

2)Type in the name of your browser and press ok or type in this into Run or the browser you just opened. http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

3)This should download windows 10 update assistant. Once it has finished downloading, open it and it will automatically check for updates.

4)If there is an update, install it  :wink: 

Hope this works. If you cannot open run, well, you can open your browser through file explorer (Windows Key+E). Good Luck!

Edited by xForesighted, 15 September 2017 - 02:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users