Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant DOS attacks on the network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gandog

Gandog

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:50 AM

Hello,

For the last 3 weeks or so I have been getting DOS attacks on my network/router. The worst thing about it is I use a static IP address, so you would presume resetting the router gives a new IP and the attacks would stop. I have contacted the ISP and they have clearly stated its a software error and they can not provide any further help.. The attacks seem to be more targeted over times I need the internet connection.. I started playing WoW and for the first fortnight my router was being target just on Raid nights so I couldnt join the guild team, but the last week, has progressed to a constant mild attack and in peak times I would use it, the DOS attacks do worse then normal such as the first fortnight..

I have done scans with Malwarebytes, ESET smart security virus scanner and just then FRST.. There doesnt seem to be any viruses of any kind on my computer. (There is multiple computers on the network which may be part of the problem but ive tried isolating just mine and the problem still occurs.) For instance an hour ago I started lagging heavily while trying to game, knew it was DOS attacks, reset the router and instantly the new IP address was being attacked by the time I could open the game up again.. I have also saved some of the router logs of the DOS scans/attacks..

Any ideas on how to identify how some one or a group of people are getting hold of my IP address and launching constant DOS attacks, any info would be appreciated, I have no idea where to turn... (I presume it has to be something software related??)

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2017 - 04:58 AM.
Moved from AII to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Knat

Knat

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

Someone else here can help you with the software, but in case you want to look into the router, here is a useful site: https://www.routersecurity.org/

#3 Gandog

Gandog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:41 PM

Ive read through a lot of information such as that, and pretty much there isnt much I am able to do once a group gets a hold of my IP and resorts to cyber terrorism against a general user. The most common thing to do if you have a static IP address is to reset your router giving you a new IP address, which ive done and described doing.

The main concern is determining how my new IP address is being obtained.. Is it possibly software of some kind not classified as a virus on my computer. Id say im an advanced user and have nothing thats jump out at me as such and looked. Second thought which sounds a little off, but users have to go through different hubs and switches etc to connect to there service provider. Most the attacks are targeting ports which the game WOW uses, I had on one occasion the internet running at a snails pace, I couldnt log into the game at all, but was also able to log into the chat program Discord and slowly browse the internet. Id presume some how being able to see IP addresses of people going through a device as described, and scanning all the users to find who is running the game and starting up the DOS attack again?? Its very targeted, and all though I think im an advanced end user I dont really know enough about networks etc to determine which one of the described problems would most likely been used to DOS attack me, or I might just be completely wrong??

How do I determine where the problem is occurring and go about rectifying it??? The only thing ive been able to think off is perform a trace route to see if its happening from a local source, and with two of the IP addresses it hoped through 10+ servers/hubs or what ever and then lost connection, so I dont think its happening by local computers..

Edited by Gandog, 11 September 2017 - 09:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users