Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clevo p751zm windows/nvidia not recognizing gpu

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AllTheNamesAreTaken

AllTheNamesAreTaken

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

So I purchased a Clevo P751zm barebones off someone for a stellar deal. I had some parts laying around that were compatible...

I put in an i7 4770k that was pulled from my desktop, and a 765m that was pulled from a dell machine. (RAM, HD, network card... etc, were already in the machine). Everything booted up perfectly. First thing I did was go into the bios and make sure everything was recognized just fine, the 765m is there as is everything else.

However, my GPU is not in the device manager nor does nvidia recognize the gpu either. This is whether I manually install the drivers or whether I use GeForce experience.

If I use HWInfo, it recognizes the GPU. So my question is, why can't windows/nvidia? I've also tried using dells auto-detect drivers and manual drivers as well.

P.S: (further info about windows and the machine)
The machine is running on windows 8.1. I figured Windows 10 would create further issues probably. I could always upgrade it to 10 though, if all else fails. I should also mention it's running a Prema BIOS... which was a nice surprise.

The clevo p750zm/p751zm cannot have integrated graphics due to the fact Clevo chose not to wire it. The only connection to the display is through a discrete gpu. There was a reason behind it, but the important thing to take away is that the gpu is "working".

Currently I have Microsoft generic display drivers, whatever those are... which are allowing the gpu to function in a very basic level. In hwinfo the gpu has 256mb... when it is a 2gb chip.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AllTheNamesAreTaken

AllTheNamesAreTaken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:23 PM

Bump, please send halp :(

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:17 AM

i had an nvidia update issue and it was because my windows 10 was not updated and was still at windows version 14xx  as soon as i did the creators update my computer was able to see the nvidia card and install the drivers.

so maybe your system just needs updated.

#4 AllTheNamesAreTaken

AllTheNamesAreTaken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

Unfortunately I don't think that's the issue as I'm on the latest 8.1. I believe the issue is with the inf files and forcing Microsoft to recognize unsigned drivers.

I may reinstall windows, as you could be right... something could be funky with my windows

Edited by AllTheNamesAreTaken, 11 September 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:13 PM

Yeah I went thru the unsigned drivers with my son's win10 machine and it still wouldn't install after I added the specifics of the video card to the .inf file.  I finally realized the error i kept getting was "window is not compatible" and I wasn't paying attention to it thinking it was a driver issue and it was a outdated windows 10 version.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:31 PM

Does the board have on board video, if so have you turned it off in the bios?  I drove myself nuts awhile back that was the fix on my setup but no two are alike!!!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 AllTheNamesAreTaken

AllTheNamesAreTaken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:39 PM

Unfortunately, that's not the issue here either. Clevo chose not to link the integrated graphics to the display. Which means, you literally cannot run off of integrated graphics in the clevo p750zm/p751zm, I also double checked to make sure the BIOS recognized the chip.

Edited by AllTheNamesAreTaken, 11 September 2017 - 08:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users