Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 kvm switch, 2 computers, 3 monitors.. & 1 set of ext. speakers?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

I'm looking @ getting a KVM switch.

Currently I have 3 monitors ( no built in speakers ) and 2 PC's.

Right now I have my external speakers ( Logitech ) hooked up to 1 PC.

I'd like to get a KVM switch so I can switch between both computers and all 3 monitors.

But what do I do about my audio since I only have 1 set of external speakers?

Some of the KVM switches I've looked at have a multiple audio out jacks in the back next to the computer port. But I only have 1 set of speakers?

Do I need to get a 2nd set of speakers? Or is it possible to have this 1 set of external speakers work when switching between both computers?

I did find this audio jack splitter.

Would this be appropriate to split the audio cable between both KVM ports

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:19 PM

Being that you have no multiple source for audio, each source (PC) would it's own set of speakers or a box to select the source for one set of speakers.  Some units have front and rear jacks for audio output but most MOBOs will detect where a jack is plugged in and disable the other, so a dual output isn't possible.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:35 PM

Can you post a link to the KVM.  I would almost assume that you would only need on set of speakers if the KVM supported audio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users