Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does the A88X Asus MB boot from a usb

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lacey16

lacey16

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

I thought this MB booted from a USB but perhaps im wrong as I cant find anything in the specs.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/asus-a88x-pro-motherboard/8/   Windows 10 now barely fits on to a

normal DVD and nowhere local sells double layerd ones. Its not in the screen shot but neither is my 2nd hard drive.  Just looking for confirmation please.  thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:40 PM

not sure what your question is, but any MB will boot from a USB, if things are configured properly,

the USB must be high in priority in boot devices in your BIOS boot menu,

and your USB drive must be a bootable device

what are you trying to accomplish?

Edited by mikey11, 09 September 2017 - 03:40 PM.

#3 lacey16

lacey16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:48 AM

Thanks Mikey As I understand the boot order tells the mb which device to boot from. To do this I think i need to put usb 1st in the list. Failure to do so means that the mb will try to boot as on my set up from the DVD then the ssd drive followed by the SATA drive. I can't find any reference to usb on the mb to move to first boot. I d/l windows 10 Iso and wanted to boot from this to install windows

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:43 AM

Thanks Mikey As I understand the boot order tells the mb which device to boot from. To do this I think i need to put usb 1st in the list. Failure to do so means that the mb will try to boot as on my set up from the DVD then the ssd drive followed by the SATA drive. I can't find any reference to usb on the mb to move to first boot. I d/l windows 10 Iso and wanted to boot from this to install windows

some motherboards/bios gives you the option of selecting a temporary boot device,

during bootup you may see a messege on the screen briefly saying something like "press F12 for other boot options"

make sure your USB is plugged in while accessing your bios, it may not give you the option of USB in the boot order unless the USB is plugged in,\

other then this you might have to play around with other options in the bios to enable the USB boot, and everytime you change an option you will need to save and exit and reboot,

if the boot order is giving you the option of CD boot, then you could create a bootable CD instead of the USB

#5 lacey16

lacey16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:58 AM

Thanks Mikey   Brilliant  What a bin head I am. I should have know it had to be plugged for the bios to see it  Many Many thanks 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users