Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Broadband Speed.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Overath

Overath

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

This is my first post so I hope I have the correct sub forum.

I live in the UK, within a rural area, and for those who are familiar with the country my ISP is BT (British Telecom).

I am aware rural broadband speeds do not compare to those available in urban centres.

I have had desktop computers for around 12 years and for 10years I found the speed available generally satisfactory for my needs.

Around 2 years ago I bought a new desktop and the speed decreased appreciably, after it was set up, altho' it was just about reasonable.

3-4 months ago I had a problem, with my machine, and a new hard drive was fitted.

After this the broadband speed dropped again to what seemed to me a much slower speed.

I have download/upload speeds around 0.5 MB and often lower!

I'm not a "techy" but I do not believe this is caused by any hardware faults in the computer.

What I find difficult to understand is why the broadband speed dropped twice, not over a certain time period, but suddenly, with the drop in speed appearing to be associated with changes being made to the desktop itself.

Any comments/explanations?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

I suggest your run the Speed test by Ookla - speedtest.net - and see what speeds you are getting at the router/modem. If you can, connec by ethernet for this test as it gives a better reflection of what is coming into your house and is not affected, as wifi is, by structures, distance and so on. Do this say daily for a fortnight, it only tkes a minute or two, and if you register it will provide a log of your records including a very pretty graph !

Once you have the data about what you are getting then compare it with what BT say you should be getting. If there is a significant difference, say anything over 10%, then it is time to take it up with BT and see what they can do about it.

BT use copper between their poles but use aluminium under ground between their junction boxes. Aluminium is a good conductor but it doesn't like being moved so is prone to crack. This can play hob with a broadband connection. Ours fell to something like 100Kbps when we had a crack in the line !  Another good indicator of this is 'crackle' on the voice line.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Overath

Overath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:52 AM

Mod Edit:  Merged into original topic - Hamluis.

Chris Cosgrove,

Thanks for the reply to my first post about broadband.

At the moment I am unable to send a reply directly to that thread or, for that matter, use the quote function. I suppose this may be linked to slow broadband..

I can improve speed by clicking the restart button, but this only effective for a couple of minutes.

I said in my first post that my broadband only slowed, at two different times, when:-

1) the desktop computer was being set up.

2) after a new hard drive was fitted.

Is it just possible the slow speed is linked to the computer itself rather than my ISP?

In other words could the fault be caused by some type of virus?

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2017 - 05:03 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

If you have any reason to suspect malware, or even if you don't, download, install and run Malwarebytes, a free download from BC -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

If this throws up any problems it cannot itself fix then start a topic in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC.

You don't say how you connect - by wifi or ethernet ?  Given the new computer and the new hard drive it is possible that you don't have the latest drivers. Go to the manufacturer's web-site and download and install the latest wifi and ethernet drivers yoou can find for your operating system.

If you still have poorer performance than you used to have then it really is time to go and annoy BT.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users