Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Liquid/Water Cooler Solution for Socket 775 Build

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MZAdotcom

MZAdotcom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 09 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

Hello, all.  As I’m totally new to CPU water/liquid coolers, looking for advice/recommendations for my 1st liquid/water solution for a 10 year old system.

<Pausing so you can get all the cracks about this ancient build out of your system.  It is...but hey, it still runs like a B0$$ ;^).>

Now, in the near future I plan on building an all-AMD workstation.  For now, trying to get the most out of my current system.  Mainly waiting for the crazy @$$ AMD/Vega GPU prices/mining craze to come/slow down.

System Specs:

Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4GHz CPU OC'ed to 3.0GHz
Rosewill RCX-Z775-EX 92mm 2 Ball Heatsink + 92mm Fan
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L Ver2.0 ATX MB
SAMSUNG EVO 840 250GB SSD [OS]
8GB G.SKILL DDR2 1066MHz RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1280MB GPU
ASUS XONAR DG Sound Card
CM Real Power Pro 1000W PSU
CM Stacker 830 SE Full Tower Case
Win 10 Pro 64-bit

TO BE 100% CLEAR: It has to be Socket 775 compatible.

Looking to spend up to $200 for the right hardware.  My main concerns are size, compatibility and ease of installation.  This should hold me until I build by AMD workstation.  The goal, again, is to breathe new life into my CPU until that day.

If I need to post any more details, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

To be honest, I wouldn't spend too much for that system unless you are planning to put watercooler for your AMD workstation too. With watercooler you could get around 3.7 GHz perhaps from that CPU but as it's very badly memory latency limited system, I see no reason to spend $200 for it. Unless again you can use (or want to use) that same cooler with future rig.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 10 September 2017 - 12:03 PM.

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Throwing money into a 10 year old rig to take it from super-duper slow to just super slow is not advised, IMO...unless you play games from that era. (I loved Medal of Honor, for instance!)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 MZAdotcom

MZAdotcom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 05:43 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't spend too much for that system unless you are planning to put watercooler for your AMD workstation too. With watercooler you could get around 3.7 GHz perhaps from that CPU but as it's very badly memory latency limited system, I see no reason to spend $200 for it. Unless again you can use (or want to use) that same cooler with future rig.

Valid points.  But, was hoping we could skip repeating what I already mentioned at the start: I am fully aware of how old my system is.

The goal here is to give it THE best operational chance until my next build, which will be an all-AMD/TR 1950X workstation.  Currently lining up all the components for it.

Not looking to overclock my CPU beyond 3.0GHz.  Taking it up to 3.7GHz is insane!...and, besides, don't think it'll work considering my MB/FSB and RAM combo.  Using air cooling now, it runs @ 30 idle, around 45 under stress [Prime95].  Heat is not an issue, but it could always run cooler, right?  Besides, I wouldn't mind introducing some quite into the system with a liquid/water cooler.  Have 8 fans in my case right now.  In my situation, $200 is a reasonable amount to spend to maintain my trusted home system for as long as possible.

Throwing money into a 10 year old rig to take it from super-duper slow to just super slow is not advised, IMO...unless you play games from that era. (I loved Medal of Honor, for instance!)

LOL.  What "Super Dooper Slow"?  From your signature, I can see you have a fairly modern machine.  But for what I use my system for, which is light graphic design work, running a small business and internet/surfing, it's been more than great for 10 years now.  Not into gaming anymore.  Who has the time.  So, not trying to crack into the Pentagon with it.

Anyways, if anyone knows of a solid liquid/water cooling solution for Socket 775, feel free to chime in.

Thanks again.

Edited by MZAdotcom, 11 September 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

Not looking to overclock my CPU beyond 3.0GHz.  Taking it up to 3.7GHz is insane!...and, besides, don't think it'll work considering my MB/FSB and RAM combo.  Using air cooling now, it runs @ 30 idle, around 45 under stress [Prime95].  Heat is not an issue, but it could always run cooler, right?  Besides, I wouldn't mind introducing some quite into the system with a liquid/water cooler.  Have 8 fans in my case right now.  In my situation, $200 is a reasonable amount to spend to maintain my trusted home system for as long as possible.

Your CPU runs already very cool and you are not going to overclock it more?

Sorry but I just don't get why you are willing to spend $200 for nothing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users