Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Laptop Extremely Slow to Start, Hard Drive Error Code

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 liquidprotein

liquidprotein

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:46 PM

Dell laptop running Windows 7.  Suddenly started having an issue with slow startup, freezing.  If I wait long enough (maybe 40 minutes) eventually it will seem to be okay, but then will freeze.  Also got a warning saying that the system needed to shut down to prevent damage.  Ran a Dell diagnostic and got a code 2000-0142.  Also got a code 0xc00000e9 when trying to run system repair.  So apparently the HD is bad?  I tried removing the HD from the laptop and attaching it via USB to another computer, and it seemed to work fine, was able to access files.  Another weird thing is that the taskbar suddenly looks "old-fashioned", if that makes sense.  Just looking for some direction here, is the laptop toast?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:54 PM

The error Code would relate to a Bad Drive , the Taskbar looking wierd i cant recall anything to that apart from a full desktop looking old , slips my mind at the moment.

You could Post a Screen shot if you can.

If you can access the old drive as you said , then retrieve anything you actually still want before its to late and the Drive dies.

To test the laptop if you think it has an issue , download a Live Linux Distro { Any } burn the ISO to a Disc and boot from that on the Laptop.

If that runs ok then the laptop should be ok , then buy a new Drive and reinstall Windows to that new drive.

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

If You have HDD, run check disk and then try to repair. Usually it helps.
After that, if is (may be) needed to reinstall something, do not run short formatting, but full formatting. It takes while, but is good for bad sectors. 
This happens very rarely if there is something with the HDD drive that can not be restored or ignored.

#4 liquidprotein

liquidprotein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

To test the laptop if you think it has an issue , download a Live Linux Distro { Any } burn the ISO to a Disc and boot from that on the Laptop.

If that runs ok then the laptop should be ok , then buy a new Drive and reinstall Windows to that new drive.

Probably should have mentioned that my computer knowledge is limited.  Not sure what what you're talking about here.  So you're saying I might just need a new hard drive?  How do I reinstall Windows?  I don't have any disks to reinstall from.

#5 liquidprotein

liquidprotein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

If You have HDD, run check disk and then try to repair. Usually it helps.
After that, if is (may be) needed to reinstall something, do not run short formatting, but full formatting. It takes while, but is good for bad sectors. 
This happens very rarely if there is something with the HDD drive that can not be restored or ignored.

I ran chkdsk and it didn't help. 

#6 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

And what it says? How many bad sectors, which not possible to repair?

#7 liquidprotein

liquidprotein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:16 PM

And what it says? How many bad sectors, which not possible to repair?

I don't remember actually, like I said my computer knowledge is limited.  All I know is that it didn't fix the problem.

Edited by liquidprotein, 08 September 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#8 liquidprotein

liquidprotein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:13 PM

So if the HD is indeed the culprit here, is there a way to completely copy the contents of the failed HD (Including Windows) to a new one, as if nothing happened?  Are laptop hard drives interchangeable?  I have an old HP laptop HD but it physically doesn't fit.  I have no clue how to buy a new one.

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,050 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:54 PM

So if the HD is indeed the culprit here, is there a way to completely copy the contents of the failed HD (Including Windows) to a new one, as if nothing happened?  Are laptop hard drives interchangeable?  I have an old HP laptop HD but it physically doesn't fit.  I have no clue how to buy a new one.

You can copy the Files as you stated in first Post / Connected via USB to another PC.

You cannot Copy Windows.

You could Clone the Drive if it was working correctly.......Its not though ! ....So bad clone equals  bad Drive again.

Your old Laptop Drive sounds like Ide / the newer Laptop is probably Sata ...so not compatible.

You sound limited in PC Repairs , and it maybe a task for anyone to take or myself { Time Limited }

But there are many here that will assist you in the learnings , so be patient. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users