Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TrackPad Does Not Work At WIN7 Login Screen, Works Fine After Logging In

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:46 PM

Lenovo Thinkpad x240 running Windows 7 32-bit

The trackpad does not work at the Windows login screen i.e. screen displays Ctrl+ALT+DEL  i.e. no mouse movement via the trackpad or the red trackpad button on Lenovo laptops. 

Keyboard works fine..   if you plug in an external mouse, it sometimes works but sometimes does not. 

HOWEVER after you login, trackpad works fine with no issues.   If you reboot, at the login screen again it will not work until you log in but keyboard works 100% of the time.

SAME issue in SAFE MODE...

I have already tried to uninstall and re-install the trackpad driver and no change.   Checked BIOs and all is well.

There are not hot key or keyboard button combos to disable the trackpad on this model.

Obviously if you re-image the machine it works 100% again but kind of a pain to do for this quirky issue. 

NOT Quite SURE what else to do here? 

any and all input is appreciated.

oNe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

was it something I said? 

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

You've done pretty much what I would have done. Reinstalling the driver outside of reinstalling the OS. Perhaps a powercycle would work. Remove the power and battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power and replace the battery. 

From doing some googling it was posted that a BIOS update would solve the problem. 

#4 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 04:44 PM

Has anyone heard of such a thing? 

Is there logs somewhere perhaps that can point me in the right direction? 

FYI: jus updated the BIOS and no change

then updated all drivers on the laptop available from Lenovo, and no change. 

trackpad consistently works once logged in but will not work on the Windows 7 login screen. 

if I log in and then lock the machine, trackpad works there but on initial win 7 login will not. 

So if I reboot it, will stop working at the log in screen only until i Log in. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users