Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internal hard drive suddenly inaccessible

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 randomystique

randomystique

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

JzTH57t.png

Ont6Llz.png

D7GS78P.png

this just suddenly happened. the drive is detected in BIOS, windows explorer and disk management. However when I click in using Windows Explorer, it says this folder is empty. 

when I run the attrib -h -r -s /s /d f:\*.* command, it gives me this:

h5Z2wdo.png

i swopped new sata and power cables, but same result. any idea what i can do? 

Edited by randomystique, 08 September 2017 - 12:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

What is strange is in Disk Management the drive is listed as healthy but using chkdsk it says the drive is RAW. I have never seen this before. If chkdsk says the drive is RAW then you should see RAW in Disk Management.

I would suggest booting a live linux DVD or USB flash drive. Mint Cinnamon is a good choice. You will need to disable SecureBoot if that is enabled. During the Mint Cinnamon boot it will ask for input. Do not do anything until at the desktop. At the desktop click Computer and in the left pane click on your 3TB drive. See if it mounts and you can see your files. If you can then it's some kind of Windows issue. If not then post back and we can try to repair the partition table. What OS is on the computer?

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

You can also remove the drive and attach to another computer via a USB adapter.

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

I've had a rash of lately in this same line of drive faults.  I was able to restore back to the most recent point and found that a WIN update occurred.  An attempt at updating again was successful and the fault was gone.  Seems that the WIN updates have been a headache for a lot of users who's units became unusable afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users