Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AOL Desktop 9.8.2 UK

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 morsekid

morsekid

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:36 AM

Hi, This is my first posting on these boards..But I have posted on another board, AOL Technical Topics, Have also emailed AOL, & TalkTalk, and have had lengthy telephone discussions all to no avail, so I will not be disappointed if no one on these boards can answer my query, mainly because not many people use the AOL software...OK, here goes:-  AOL is a free browser software, it is owned by TalkTalk but during the past week AOL UK company name has changed to Oath Inc. A digital and mobile media company. 

The AOL Home Page has its own browser as well as an 'in house' email client, among other bits & bobs unique to AOL.. The browser being used is Google Chrome version 43 which is way out of date, the latest version is 57. Not only does this pose a security risk, but a number of web pages either do not open because it is so out of date, or makes mention that not all the content of their web page is available because it is out of date.

Before anyone says "why do you use AOL software? Its out of date, creaking at the seams, there are much better browser's out there"...My answer is, I have a contract with TT which is bundled with AOL...And I do have 'stand alone' browsers such as IE, Firefox, and Google which are all kept up to date,  I do have to use now and again.

So why does TT AOL Oath offer this free software to anyone, when it is security risk.? Why don't they update, in my opinion it would probably be free from Google...

Best wishes

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:07 PM

For a number of years, up until about four years ago, my wife and I used TalkTalk for phone and broadband but we were never pressurised into using their browser. In fact we went with TalkTalk when they took over AOL's broadband service in the UK. We only switched because TalkTalk's service and support declined dramatically in the six  months prior to our switching, but I still use an AOL email address.

What exactly has happened to AOL's one time UK assets I am not sure, I too have seen that message about Oath. Whenever I read/write emails I just fire up my default browser - Firefox - and click on my bookmark to the AOL mail log-in page. I also use Chrome and IE from time to time. I think I was vaguely aware there was an AOL browser, but, as i said, I have never used it.

I wouldn't worry unduly about pestering TalkTalk/AOL - they are not terribly responsive !  Just make Chrome or Firefox your default browser and forget about the AOL one.

Chris Cosgrove

PS  Perhaps it's time we both backed up our AOL contact lists !

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 September 2017 - 06:09 PM.
Add PS

#3 morsekid

morsekid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:32 AM

Hi Chris, thanks for your informative reply. Although I agree with your comments, but I have 'got the bit between my teeth'  :bounce:. My monthly direct debit is with AOL, and I must confess that I like their home page layout, plus other unique extras like scrolling marquee facility when using email client. You suggest that I make Chrome or Firefox my default browser, as  mentioned, I do have these browser's available, but I cannot make these my default browser without closing the AOL software and just using AOL to gain internet access.....therefore there is no point in having and paying for AOL in the first place. I am also aware that most people would say that is exactly what I should do...So I reiterate, I am paying for AOL via TalkTalk and I expect to have an updated and secure browser. If they cannot offer this, they should remove the AOL software, (available to all) I am also surprised that Oath have decided to be involved with this product, perhaps they will soon be aware of this major flaw and arrange for the browser to be updated.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,590 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

I have to admit that I didn't know that anybody paid AOL themselves anything now. As I understood it TalkTalk had taken over the entirety of AOL's broadband business in the UK so I would have thought your monthly DD would be going to them now instead of AOL. Then again, my homepage is a blank page because I use a lot of different web-sites, it's quicker to open a browser then click on a bookmark than have a browser open at a set web-site and have to wait for that to load before I can switch to a different one.

I don't quite understand your remark about closing the AOL software if you want to make a different browser you default. I have IE, Chrome and Firefox on this computer and I don't have to close anyone of them to allow me to run a particular one. You can in fact have two different browsers open at the same time. Not something I do often but useful if you want to check if it is a Firefox problem or an internet one.

Yes, essentially in some sense you are paying for AOL services since it is included in your broadband (and telephone ?) bill each month but you don't have to use it. It's a bit like, if you run Win 10, you get free access to MS's Outlook Express through their AppStore but just because it is there you don't have to use it, and certainly not as a condition of using Win 10.

At the end of the day, why use a brower you know is insecure ?  You have made reasonable representations to the company to get them to fix this and you are being ignored. Time to move on. By all means carry on using TalkTalk if you are otherwise getting good service from them.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 morsekid

morsekid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:13 AM

Hi Chris, thanks again for your mail and comments, Ever since AOL became available in the UK, its main attraction was that it offered an 'all in one' internet software, that is, email client with unique extras, browser, which kept switching between IE & Chrome, both auto updated, and an interface home page which enabled one to make various adjustments to font type and size, 'Buddy Chat' Spam filters, and so on, which are still active today. As far as I am concerned, the only problem is with the browser...All your comments  I accept, when I said that I have to close the AOL software to use any of my other browsers, what I really meant to say was being so used to doing everything from the AOL Home Page, I was loath to leave the Home Page to use another. browser. Yup, I know, a bit 'pig headed'... However, would you not agree that it is very wrong for TT to offer AOL software to all and sundry when it poses a very real security risk...Just Google for AOL and see the number of pages where you can download this software, also note the various out of date editions compared with the latest one which is AOL 9.8.2 UK, not to be confused with the USA version.... Thanks again for taking the trouble to respond to my postings, 

#6 morsekid

morsekid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:58 AM

Forgot to mention, you were right, my direct debit is with TalkTalk, and not AOL, it was changed just over 6-months ago...

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,590 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

AOL's software has been v9.8.2 for about 10 years at least. We left TalkTalk either three or four years ago - I would have to look that up - and we had been TalkTalk customers for at least six years before that and our DD had gone to TalkTalk for all that time. Before that we were AOL customers and had one of those funny little four inch square modems that you had to plug into your computer They were a vast improvement in performance over the dial-up we had before that became available but you could only use one computer at a time even if you could talk on the phone at the same time. This was the major selling point of early broadband over dial-up.

I know it is always annoying to leave a well used tool behind, one you know the ins and outs of, but you really would be better moving on.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users