Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing McAfee

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

I probably have the wrong forum category...

I just got back my Lenovo laptop Windows 7 Pro from warranty repair and the machine came back with a factory install, i.e. loaded with McAfee AV software.  I was unaware that it was already activated on my machine and I installed a program of my choice and then a msg box popped up from McAfee.  I deleted the program through control panel > Programs Uninstall.  I found McAfee stuff all over my computer still.  So I went to the McAfee site and used their tool and there are still MANY McAfee thingies all over my computer.  

I called Lenovo and they want to charge me to remove it. 

Does anybody know how to get the software completely off my computer? 

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2017 - 09:23 AM.
Moved from Web Browsing/Email to AV/AM - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Moved to Antivirus tools

Use this

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/mcafee-consumer-products-removal-tool/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,747 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

What was the McAfee software? A lot of systems are supplied with McAfee Security Scan Plus, which is not an AntiVirus. It's a diagnostic that checks running programs for malware and reports on system security status, firewall, active AV etc. Personally I find this problematic as people can see it and think they have an AV installed, but normally there isn't a problem uninstalling it.

Since you mention you already used a removal tool, if it was the one linked by boopme or the suggested tool still leaves something, please detail just what the "thingies" are that remain.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:26 PM

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background. Sometimes the uninstall works more effectively if you first stop and disable the program's service or perform the removal in safe mode so there are less processes which can interfere with the uninstallation.

Most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities or removal tools on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. Remnants include related registry entries, files and folders created in various areas of the OS. Even after running a vendor's removal tool, remnants may remain but most are harmless and should not interfere with the installation of a replacement anti-virus.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:11 AM

I think Playpus is right about the Mcafee software I was trying to remove.  I am in the process of moving and don't have the time to deal with it right now.  Perhaps if I reinstall it and remove it by disabling the processes first, would that maybe work?  Thanks for the help here.  I will definitely get back to this when I've resolved the unresolved hardware issues with the computer and when I've finished moving.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

If it is McAfee Security Scan Plus that you actually are dealing with, then it can be removed by using Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users