Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving 4tb HDD from old PC to new PC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:25 AM

Building another computer.

Right now in my main rig I have an SSD that runs my OS and software programs only.
No files storage on my SSD.

I also have a 4tb HDD as another drive in this computer but it is for file storage only.  

----------------
Here's my question:
1)  Can I disconnect my 4tb HDD and plug it into a new build and use for file storage only and keep everything thats on it right now?
2)  Will all my files on this 4tb HDD still be on there and safe etc...  or will I loose them by disconnecting the 4tb HDD

*I simply want to move the 4tb HDD ( which has no running software or programs on it.) and connect it to a new computer.  And use it just like it is being used now.  File storage only.
This new build will have a seprate SSD for my OS and software.

3)  Is it as simple as disconnect from the old and reconnect to the new?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

1) yes

2) they won't change. 

3) yes.

#3 frldyz

frldyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

I will be going from a computer with Win 7 to Win 10.
Will that be an issue?

#4 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:09 AM

Nope - both windows 7 and windows 10 use NTFS by default and both store their files in precisely the same way. As far as you're concerned this is the same as plugging in a USB stick, except it goes inside the case and the connectors are a little more fiddly.

S.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users