Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows automated backup setup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 downloaderfan

downloaderfan

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

I'm looking to automate the backup of a particular folder on Windows 10, within which I have all my important files. I use Syncthing on my phone to backup files over local WiFi to my PC instantly whenever new files are added to a specific folder. I want a similar setup for windows, that regularly scans a particular folder for new files, backs up almost instantly & also encrypts it so that no one other than me can access it. I'm confused what hardware I should buy, like a NAS device or use an external hard drive connected to router or something else? Depending on the hardware, what software can scan for new files in a folder, encrypt & back them up for me? I don't mind paying more for a NAS device, but the advantages should also be real & not minor. (Perhaps someone could list the advantages?) Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2017 - 08:03 AM.
Moved from External Hardware to Backup/Imaging - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 AnotherMindbomb

AnotherMindbomb

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:37 AM

I personally use Acronis backup (I bought it in a Humble Bundle for a few pounds along with some other utility software).

I have all of my important folders backed up to the 50 GB of disk-space I get with the Acronis license.

I also back up my entire C: drive and my P: drive (where all of my source code lives) to my Synology NAS drive. This drive is physically in my house so it's susceptible to a fire for example, but I'm ok with that as I also have the really important stuff on BitBucket.

Between my local backups, my offsite backups and BitBucket I've got everything I consider irreplaceable in multiple places

The Acronis backups can be encrpyted (I don't bother) and the scheduling frequency can be set to anywhere from constant (so files are backed up as they are created) to hourly, daily, weekly, monthly and so forth.

You don't need a NAS drive however - a removable external USB hard-drive will suffice, or even a USB stick if the data is small enough.

There are many programs which will perform this kind of backup for you - I happen to mention Acronis because I use it myself and I bought it for a pittance.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,376 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:52 AM

There is also the question of what version of Windows is under discussion.   Windows 10 File History can do pretty much of what's been asked for and I know one can encrypt one's hard drives as well, but I never do.

I back up my stuff to an external USB hard drive.  If I were to have something so precious that it would have to survive a disaster were one to happen at my I'd get a second drive and store it off site, making backups to it with whatever frequency is required.  If you have high volume file creation or changing then a cloud backup solution in addition to a local backup might be a good way to go.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#4 petronor

petronor

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 PM

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:34 PM

Advantages of a NAS

=================

Because it contains two disks (basic models anyway) and assuming you set it up using RAID 1 (also called mirroring) you essentially 

lower your risk of data loss by 50 per cent. Contrast this with a USB drive, if this fails you have lost your back up.

That is the big advantage of an NAS drive. One disk fails inside the case, you still have the other one to fall back on. 

As for encryption, most Bufalo Terastation NAS devices come with AES-128 / 256 hardware encryption. Hardware encryption is best because

it means less performance overhead and less risk of error.

As for software "scanning for" new files. Most backup software will ask you at setup to select the backup folders. Anything OUTSIDE these will NOT be backed up.

To eliminate this risk, you can simply backup your whole "C" drive using something Macrium Workstation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users