Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 was upgraded from windows 7 & now windows 10 has crashed.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 sahilraghav

sahilraghav

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

windows 10 was upgraded from windows 7 & now windows 10 has crashed. blue screen appered giving error as  Stop code : ntfs file system. is there any possibble solution for this. is it possible to recover windows and  imp data as system had the win 7 then was upgraded to win 10 and now even recovery will bring it to win 7 not 10 and rocovery can only be performed after formating the partition. so help me guys how can i recover my data?? is tthere any possible way??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

How old is your PC? How old is that hard drive? Have you checked the health of your hard drive?

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 08 September 2017 - 11:19 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

How did you upgrade to Windows 10, upgrade through MS's free upgrade?

When you format a hdd/ssd it remove data from the drive.

If you wish to use Windows 10 you can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

If you had successfully installed Windows 10 and activated it you will not need to activate the new installation as long as the version you install is the same which was installed previously.

Can you at this point boot into either operating system to run test programs?

If you can I would suggest doing the following.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 08 September 2017 - 10:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Shalraghav

Shalraghav

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

How old is your PC? How old is that hard drive? Have you checked the health of your hard drive?

#5 Shalraghav

Shalraghav

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:41 PM

I appreciate your reply sir. yes I have checked the health of HDD by running the HDD test. It passed the test successfully. It is 4 years old though.

#6 Shalraghav

Shalraghav

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:42 PM

How did you upgrade to Windows 10, upgrade through MS's free upgrade?

When you format a hdd/ssd it remove data from the drive.

If you wish to use Windows 10 you can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

If you had successfully installed Windows 10 and activated it you will not need to activate the new installation as long as the version you install is the same which was installed previously.

Can you at this point boot into either operating system to run test programs?

If you can I would suggest doing the following.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#7 Shalraghav

Shalraghav

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

hello dc3, I appreciate your valuable time. thanks for such a detailed reply to my post. yes sir, I have done the MS upgrade. and I have run the HDD test too. HDD has passed it successfully. moreover today I removed the HDD from my laptop and installed it on an external casing and tried to explore its drives by attaching the external HDD in other laptop where it showed three primary partitions but only two were opening. one was recovery partition but unfortunately it has windows 7 as originally my laptop came with windows 7 installation as factory default & other drive was just. 100 mb drive approx and the third one which was having all the data in it and which was labelled as C drive in my crashed laptop wasn't ope ing and was giving an error message to access this drive you need to format it. I think that's the one which is suffering with Stop Code : NTFS file system

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

If it contains the NTFS files this is the partition with Windows installed on it.

You don't need to quote my posts.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 sahilraghav

sahilraghav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:48 AM

so sir guide me what next i can do to recover my data .  as of now i opened the hard disc and connect with other computer and it shows nothing :(

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2017 - 03:00 AM

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Shalraghav

Shalraghav

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

Hey Rocky Bennett, thanks aton for such great inputs. I followed all the steps that you suggested but the drive which was containing the whole data is not showing up in Ubuntu too!! :(

#12 Shalraghav

Shalraghav

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:55 AM

kindly suggest what further we can do to get back the data. I am attaching a picture of my system drives showing up in Ubuntu for reference!! many thanks in advance 👍Attached File  tmp-cam-1510449127.jpg   73.78KB   0 downloads

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 04:49 AM

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following command will  fixes errors on the disk and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Chkdsk D: /r

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Posted Image

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,798 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

Following command will  fixes errors on the disk and locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.

Chkdsk D: /r

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

To Shalraghav, In order to follow these steps you will need another PC that can access the internet in order to download a Windows 10 installation media from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Also, use Rufus to create a bootable USB stick https://rufus.akeo.ie/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 Shalraghav

Shalraghav

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

thanks alot and I appreciate your help sir, but I can't perform these tasks as my 500 GB HDD has only three partitions & I have no space left to install anything in it. I have to format my 480 GB partition as it's the only partition practically HDD have.
1). 480 GB primary partition got corrupted. win 10 was installed. Stop Error: NTFS file system. so we can not open this drive without formatting it. this partition is not showing up in Linux as well. If I try using my HDD as external HDD in other laptop even then this partition doesn't opens & shows error at opening "format this drive to proceed"!!? this is the drive having all my valuable data.
2). Partition 2 is 20 GB approx is a recovery drive automatically created by windows for recovery. It has windows 7 as my laptop was pre-installed with win 7 & I upgraded it from MS upgrade to win 10 approx 2 years back.
3). Partition 3 is just 100 Mb, it's just system generated.

Dear members, kindly let me know about your suggestions on it!! looking forward for solution. many thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users