Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows media player (Not responding) Due to DVD Drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mitcheyfex

mitcheyfex

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

Hi guys!

I'm back and have another issue with my Win 10 PC.

Basically, for around 2 weeks now my disk drive (DVD ROM) has not stopped clicking, the LED on the drive also keeps flashing, it keeps trying to read a disk, but there is none in there! weird thing is last night i disabled the disk drive under "Device Manager" And it stopped, no more clicking no more flashing my media player booted straight away and the computer seemed alot lot faster! (This also seems to be affecting speed and general funtion) But today, I turned the pc back on and to my suprise this issue has come back even though the device is disabled! I dont mind completely disabling the drive because its actually never worked on this PC anyway which is why i use an external disk drive and rewriter. What im confused about is this; Why on earth is the DVD drive still attempting to read/write/boot when its been disabled?

I know for a fact it is this causing me problems not even just with windows media player but with the PC in general, and as mentioned earlier the improvement when i eventually got this thing to stop trying to read was immense! any advice on what i could do? i've even considered disconnecting the drive but am a newbie so anything that can be done via the settings would be preferable.

Good to be back guys youve been ever so helpful in the past and i hope you can help me with this!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:47 AM

I dont mind completely disabling the drive because its actually never worked on this PC anyway which is why i use an external disk drive and rewriter.

There doesn't appear to be any reason to leave this DVD drive connected.  You haven't posted whether this is a laptop or desktop, so I can't be any more specific in this regard.

Edited by dc3, 08 September 2017 - 10:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 mitcheyfex

mitcheyfex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:36 AM

I dont mind completely disabling the drive because its actually never worked on this PC anyway which is why i use an external disk drive and rewriter.

There doesn't appear to be any reason to leave this DVD drive connected.  You haven't posted whether this is a laptop or desktop, so I can't be any more specific in this regard.

Hello Dc3! you helped me last time!

Sorry, its a desktop so the DVD drive is built in to the tower wondered if there was any other way to disable it without disconnecting as this is a last resort, its worth noting aswell that i have since had alot of booting issues and problems with the screen going black and all i can see is the pointer/mouse, i'm 99% sure this is down to the dvddrive as when i first disabled the PC worked perfectly.

thanks,

Mitch

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

For the time being open the case and disconnect the power and data cables to the DVD drive so we can see what is happening without this being in the system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mitcheyfex

mitcheyfex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

Okay, am i okay to just disconnect from the drive? i don't have to disconnect from power supply also?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:46 PM

I posted that you should disconnect the power and data cables from the DVD drive.

#7 mitcheyfex

mitcheyfex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

i've unplugged the drive, PC is running very smooth and fast, and bootin 10x quicker, would this indicate an infected drive or a faulty one?

#8 mitcheyfex

mitcheyfex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 05:55 AM

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.14393 Build 14393
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    DESKTOP-6HH5N0M
System Manufacturer    System manufacturer
System Model    System Product Name
System Type    x64-based PC
System SKU    SKU
Processor    Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 1201, 17/08/2012
SMBIOS Version    2.7
Embedded Controller Version    255.255
BIOS Mode    Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
BaseBoard Model    Not Available
BaseBoard Name    Base Board
Platform Role    Desktop
Secure Boot State    Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration    Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory    C:\WINDOWS
System Directory    C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.14393.206"
User Name    DESKTOP-6HH5N0M\Mitch
Time Zone    GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    7.95 GB
Available Physical Memory    5.97 GB
Total Virtual Memory    9.20 GB
Available Virtual Memory    7.17 GB
Page File Space    1.25 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions    Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection    Yes

Bit more info

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 09:03 AM

Personally, I wouldn't spend any more time on this DVD drive, they are pretty cheap, there are six DVD-burners under $20. at Newegg.

Edited by dc3, 10 September 2017 - 09:05 AM.

#10 mitcheyfex

mitcheyfex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:48 PM

I hate to say it, but i still havent got to the bottom of my issue, anyone else care to shed any light on this situation? mainly for my own knowledge, is it common for a DVD drive to interfere with windows media player? Is the drive infected? and most of all why did i have to unplug it for it to stop spinning up why couldnt i simply just disable it?

Thanks for your help so far.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

A DVD drive can't get infected.  Its firmware can become corrupted though, but I don't see how this could cause the problems it was exhibiting.

What is the make and model of this computer.  If this is a custom build please post the make and model of the DVD drive.

#12 mitcheyfex

mitcheyfex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

Unsure as i bought it second hand pretty sure its custom built the DVD drive is a LG unsure on model

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,762 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:13 AM

A custom build means that you can use any of the drives you see in the ad at Newegg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users