Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Professional Recovery CD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Moonwilles

Moonwilles

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:59 AM

Hello, fellow forum members. I have just joined...

So, basically, I've been given a couple of Fujitsu CELSIUS workstations running Windows XP Professional. I am willing to restore them back to their original state and have not managed to find a Fujitsu Windows XP Professional Recovery CD ISO image online.

I emailed Fujitsu and they did not help me, due to the fact that support for Windows XP has ended.
I do not know what to do at this point. Does anyone here have one, please?

I've attempted to restore the computers via other means:

- Entering safe mode with Command Prompt, then performing a System Restore.

Issue: There are no available restore points.

- Entering the boot menu and choosing 'Recovery and Utility'.

Issue: The 'Recovery and Utility' option is not available.

Someone on another forum has suggested that I manually restore the computer to its original state by uninstalling the programs one by one and deleting all the profiles excluding the built-in Administrative one.

I am not really aiming towards this option, so an ISO image would be appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:24 AM

Hello and welcome!

Considering how unlikely it seems that there would be a restore image available anywhere for those particular units, uninstalling the non-original software might actually be the best option. How many programs would have been installed that would not be original factory issue?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Moonwilles

Moonwilles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:38 AM

Hello and welcome!

Considering how unlikely it seems that there would be a restore image available anywhere for those particular units, uninstalling the non-original software might actually be the best option. How many programs would have been installed that would not be original factory issue?

Thanks for your reply. To be honest, there aren't many programs installed, just some CAD-related stuff.

I have managed to find the CD for sale but it's in German.

I am also considering making an exact image of the hard disk, then using it whenever I want to restore the workstation back to that state.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:22 AM

if you dont need anything on the drive you can download an XP ISO file and create a bootable install USB drive or CD

Edited by mikey11, 08 September 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

My concern with using a standard XP install is getting the correct drivers for everything, Fujitsu can be a bit proprietary, and finding a German restore CD is I think fairly normal. Fujitsu are pretty active in Europe, and I have a suspicion some of their models might be supplied by Medion who do computers for Aldi.

Imaging the drive is a good idea, and if there's not a lot of extra software installed, clearing it off the system shouldn't be hard.

#6 Moonwilles

Moonwilles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:31 AM

if you dont need anything on the drive you can download an XP ISO file and create a bootable install USB drive or CD

I actually own an original Windows XP CD.

I think that whether I want it or not, I'm going to have to go with that.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:33 AM

An original XP installation CD will need to be XP Professional for the product key on the PC to work. An advantage of most manufacturer XP installations is that they were pre-activated, so simply installed and worked.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

what are the computers going to be used for?

#9 Moonwilles

Moonwilles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

My concern with using a standard XP install is getting the correct drivers for everything, Fujitsu can be a bit proprietary, and finding a German restore CD is I think fairly normal. Fujitsu are pretty active in Europe, and I have a suspicion some of their models might be supplied by Medion who do computers for Aldi.

Imaging the drive is a good idea, and if there's not a lot of extra software installed, clearing it off the system shouldn't be hard.

I've searched and the drivers are available from the Fujitsu website once a valid serial number is inputted.

#10 Moonwilles

Moonwilles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:30 AM

Some retro gaming, programming, checking email and CAD. They are still surprisingly good for CAD stuff. The software I use is quite old and runs brilliantly on them.

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

Some retro gaming, programming, checking email and CAD. They are still surprisingly good for CAD stuff. The software I use is quite old and runs brilliantly on them.

you might want to try Linux out,

Install linux mint and see how you like it, no harm in trying it, it is very similar to windows XP

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,730 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:21 AM

I've searched and the drivers are available from the Fujitsu website once a valid serial number is inputted.

That's good, then I'd expect if you have an XP disc matching the type already installed, you should be able to do a clean install that would nicely suit retro gaming etc.

Maybe you could experiment with Linux on one unit too.

Edited by Platypus, 08 September 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#13 Bills86e

Bills86e

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:11 PM

I HAVE A NEW in original unopened windows 95 operating system.  LMK if you want to buy it.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users