Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange PC noise

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 retroaspect

retroaspect

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:33 AM

Hi,

First time poster :)

My pc started making a strange noise. i have cleaned up the interior of my pc, there was a lot of dust, replugged it and the noise persists.. Would anyone know what could be the cause? I wanted to include the mp3 file but it was not allowed, i'll post an upload link instead:

https://ufile.io/nm8m9

Thanks in advance!

Edited by retroaspect, 08 September 2017 - 03:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:48 AM

To me it sounds most like bearing noise, so a fan would be a suspect. Are you able to pinpoint the precise location of the sound? e.g. power supply fan sound would be coming through the air grille front or back of the PSU casing.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 retroaspect

retroaspect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:54 AM

Hi,

i have edited the first post with e new audio upload which is better quality. 

It seems to come from the front of the pc, i would guess the highest part, but its hard to tell...

So you are saying it could be a wire against the fan?

Best regards

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:06 AM

The PSU is normally at the top of a desktop tower PC, so a noisy PSU fan could sound loudest at the top, but probably mostly at the back through the exhaust grille. A noisy fan bearing is usually due to lubricant having dried out or dust getting into the bearing from blowing out with compressed air or similar.

That sound is also similar to hard drive bearing noise, especially with the little "chuckling" sounds at the end of the clip.

With the case cover removed, you can usually get a fair idea of the location of the source of the sound. One technique is to listen through a piece of plastic tubing or similar hose, and point it at different parts and see where the sound is loudest.

Edited by Platypus, 08 September 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#5 retroaspect

retroaspect
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:28 AM

Hi,

Thanks so much!

I will try and lubricate the case bearing later on. If thats doesnt fix the noise i should move on the HD i guess, but any tips on how to proceed for that?

Best regards,

Bram

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,685 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

If a hard drive develops a noisy bearing there's nothing that can be done about it, that drive will just be noisy. However it normally doesn't just suddenly happen, so if this is something you've only now noticed beginning after cleaning out the system, it's probably going to be a fan.

Some fans can be opened up and the bearing re-lubricated, but if dust has got into the bearing, it's usually never 100% fixed. Replacement fans are not expensive, but if it's the PSU fan for example, the PSU has to be opened and usually soldering done to wire in the new fan. Unless the owner is, or knows, an electronics handy-person, the cost of having a technician do it means a new PSU is probably cheaper.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

You can use a pencil or your finger to stop each fan to see which causes the noise.  Most fans are sealed units and the bearings are not where you can lubricate them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users