Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google chrome failed to start and I'm now lost.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:39 PM

Windows 10, fully updated, one-year old computer, Dell Inspiron laptop, and Google Chrome been on the machine nearly a year with the only trouble today!

No difference whether regular mode or incognito mode, but when trying to open Chrome,

Dialog with round red background with white X says...

C:\Program Files(x86)\Google\Application\chrome.exe

...failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect.  See the application event log or use the command line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

I do not understand and I am lost.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:57 PM

Let me add a little bit more and play dumb as I say this:

I ONLY have the protection & security of Windows Defender and Windows Firewall - No "third party" protection installed, since what comes with Windows 10 is supposed to be good for most people, as I read on the bleepingcomputer forums and seen in other web internet articles.

There is this webpage I found through searching:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/cMJS5xiNOJM

The article tells that several people uninstalled and reinstalled google chrome and this fixed the problem for most of these users.  My question, as I play dumb, is exactly how?  Should I just do a search for "download google chrome" for desktop windows computer and download and install that (after first uninstalling the google chrome currently failing on computer)?  Should I remove any particular folder first or uninstall, leave stuff in place, and install the fresh google chrome?    What actual file should I download to install?

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:05 AM

Now uninstalled and then reinstalled using a fresh google chrome installer and although it works, I cannot MAKE the desktop shortcut be a incognito shortcut to open directly into incognito mode.  The shortcut Properties is not accepting the "incognito" appendage to the Target.  WHAT can I do to make the shortcut accept Incognito?

I put a space after the Target name, typed in  the dash and then incognito, but not accepting this change.  

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 989 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:13 AM

Now I seem to have it.  I missed and was putting incognito into the wrong Properties field.  I had mistook the other text field for the "Target" field.  Now the incognito shortcut on the desktop works.  Google Chrome seems to be working again, and the extensions and bookmarks are still in place as they were before the uninstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users