Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

weird menu- missing text next to icons

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 halfrhovsquared

halfrhovsquared

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

Win-7 64bit on a desktop with dual screens.  

When I open a menu from Chrome,( right click) Internet Explorer, installing a program, etc. the menu and all the folders and such are missing the words next to them.  Depending on my graphics settings (tried a BUNCH of combos) there are sometimes letters but they're all jumbled.   Aero theme they're missing (see attached).  Standard theme they're usually jumbled or crammed together.

Also sometimes my screens flash and go black and then go back to normal.

But everything seems to works fine if I boot in safe mode.

I've tried numerous things, esp with the graphics card.  Don't think it's my card but think it's something corrupted in Windows-7 somewhere. 

Ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:46 AM

I think your problem is buggy graphic card driver but you can try clean boot state  to find out if any one of startup programs or services causing the issue.

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning: Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivirus disabled until the process is ended. For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the 7W6b39o.png keys to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box. This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1) Click/tap on the General tab.

(2) Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3) Remove the check mark in the Load startup items check box.

0JgaJnG.png

4. Click on the Services tab.

5. Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6. Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

yIKrmLs.png

7. Click on Apply then OK

ljHR4ZW.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

Posted Image

#3 halfrhovsquared

halfrhovsquared
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.  Did exactly as you stated for a clean boot and there's no change.

Yesterday I also reinstalled my graphics card (nVidia Quadro 2200) drivers to the latest FWIW and no change.

What's weird is that when I use Windows Explorer directly there aren't any problems.  It's only when I try to open a menu from an action like a right-click/save-as.

Also, when I use a computer program like Office, Acrobat, etc. the menus seem to work fine.

So what is happening to my computer that is different between opening a menu with Explorer (Windows-E or just start-computer) vs opening a menu from somewhere.

And why does it work fine when I open in safe mode?

<perplexed> 

#4 halfrhovsquared

halfrhovsquared
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:00 AM

Ok, 20 minutes later after rebooting *again* for some bleeping reason it's working now.  Not that I'm complaining since I need to get back to work- but sheesh.

Yesterday I made sure I was completely up to date on my Win-7 updates.  Now I just restarted again (after doing everything explained above with no help) and it suddenly decides to do 49 updates.  I let it and then when I restart, about the 50th restart since this problem came up yesterday afternoon BTW, the menus look fine again.

<still perplexed>

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:34 PM

What is your installed antivirus/antimalware application(s)?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users