Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No installed, licensed language packs error but...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

Okay, so I messed up big time a few days ago. After months of win7 64 bit working great on a usb hard drive, I got greedy and resized that partition the left to gain some space.

It broke everything, I had to reinstall and it booted up and worked fine. One time.

On reboot, it tried to "configure updates" which was odd since I'd made it a point to DISABLE updates as this has happened in the past.

So it "reverts changes" and reboots, I select that partition from grub2 and get the bluescreen error in the topic.

Great. So I reinstall AGAIN (waik is a huge headache) and manually move the language packs needed to the system32 folder BEFORE installing. Seems like that'd fix it yeah

It didn't. I remember having this issue once before back when I first installed to this drive and it being a 3 day process to find and implement a fix. Now I can't find the fix I used.

Is there any way to logon to my other windows 7 install and manually install a language pack to this one? Every "fix" I see is just "reinstall and cross your fingers" but I know I've fixed this before by moving files around and rebooting.

To summarize: I need to install a language pack from another windows install on the same computer and google is no help.

Alternatively: anybody who's installed with waik to a usb drive mind explaining the tricks needed? Or recommending a better program to do the same?

Edited by Idonegoofed, 07 September 2017 - 09:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

"Language packs: Windows 7"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14236/language-packs

Posted Image

#3 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:36 AM

"Language packs: Windows 7"
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14236/language-packs

A quick google search could find me this. I already have the pack needed, the issue is that I get a bsod and can't start windows to install it. What's annoying is that windows started and ran just fine until the first reboot, then threw this error after "reverting changes" from an update I never downloaded (never even connected to the internet) and seems to have deleted the language pack in use.

This keeps happening after multiple reinstalls and after it appeared to be working I copied backed up files for 4 hours so I'm not looking to reinstall on a whim if it won't help anything.

It seems there should be a way to manually install a pack from the command prompt on a windows 7 or linux install on the same computer, simply putting the pack where it goes doesn't do a thing. It has to be installed, I need a novel solution for this and that's what I'm asking about here.

In short: I have the files, they (were) on my computer and working just fine but now need to be reinstalled but this partition is worthless until I fix this, not even safe mode will boot up and a reinstall hasn't helped.

Edited by Idonegoofed, 08 September 2017 - 09:38 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

If a reinstall of Win 7...did not change your scenario...I would think that I would be looking at the hard drove...or the install media used to install Windows.

Other users seem to get such installs done without much of a problem, just like any other program install.

Louis

#5 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

If a reinstall of Win 7...did not change your scenario...I would think that I would be looking at the hard drove...or the install media used to install Windows.

Other users seem to get such installs done without much of a problem, just like any other program install.

Louis

It's a waik quirk, I've had this issue before and now I can't find the instructions I had used. Windows 7 is intolerant of usb devices and seems to lash out when placed on one, but I've fixed this in the past.

Pretty much resigned to checking in here until somebody who happens to have done what I did and also written the solution down or memorized it comes along. I believe this is the forum I originally found the fix on but a search isn't finding the thread

I recall it had something to do with an update setting and the language selected on install may have had to be an english variant other than the default.

I think there's another program that enables win 7 usb media installs that doesn't have these issues, but I don't recall the name and have never had to resort to it before.

I'm really dreading a reinstall via another method only to discover the issue is inescapable and have to copy the backed up files again and STILL search for a fix.

I've lost about 600gb of irreplaceable files and this is becoming a bigger headache than I'd figured it'd be.

Edited by Idonegoofed, 08 September 2017 - 10:48 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:08 AM

Your only previous topic:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/656286/went-and-resized-partition-to-the-left/ .

Louis

#7 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

Your only previous topic:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/656286/went-and-resized-partition-to-the-left/ .

Louis

And?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:48 PM

You stated that you had solved this before before...I took that to mean that someone here had assisted you.

Louis

#9 Idonegoofed

Idonegoofed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

You stated that you had solved this before before...I took that to mean that someone here had assisted you.

Louis

Yes and no. I found a solution given to a user here with the same issue I had, but for whatever reason can't find that thread now.

It's pretty frustrating. Still checking in here now and then to see if anybody who knows what I'm talking about can help me out because work's taking up most of my time but I may just devote my next day off to figuring this out.

If I do, I'll post the solution on this thread so the next guy with my problem doesn't have to go through this but I'm still hopeful somebody'll see this in the meantime and help me out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users