Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender deactivated my Comodo Anti Virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vin_012

vin_012

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

Hello,

My OS is Windows 10 and I have installed Comodo as my anti virus so I turned Off the Windows Defender. However, recently I noticed that Windows Defender detected a "Worm:Win32/Mogoogwi.B!Ink" and it blocked the Comodo. I wonder why the Defender was still active and why it blocked the Comodo. When I try to activate the Comodo, the Defender was not allowing this to happen. Can someone please help me figure out this? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:06 PM

Are you certain that you installed Comodo Antivirus (or Internet Security) rather than Comodo Firewall?

I ask only because I cannot believe that a mature product like Comodo would not do the standard disabling of Windows Defender on installation if an anti-virus component is being installed (and, of course, vice versa, reenabling Windows Defender upon uninstall).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

I think you will find that Windows 10 after or maybe just before creators update that Windows 10 will still enable windows defender for periodic scans.

I think it even says that when you run it.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:13 AM

Windows Defender Antivirus in Windows 10 Creators Update includes always-on protection which consists of real-time protection, behavior monitoring and heuristics to identify and block malware based on known suspicious and malicious activity.

All of the previous functions and settings from the Windows Defender app (in versions of Windows 10 before version 1703) are now found in the new Windows Defender Security Center app. Settings that were previously located in Windows Settings under Update & security > Windows Defender are also now in the new app.

Comparison of settings and functions of the old app and the new app

That would include Windows 10 Anniversary update's Limited Periodic Scanning which provides additional protection against malware for those using a third party anti-virus program as their primary protection. This feature allows you to run occasional scans with Windows Defender without conflicting with a third-party anti-virus. When enabled, Windows 10 will use the Windows Defender scanning engine to periodically scan your computer (or allow you to schedule scans) for threats and remove them.

Windows Defender should not have blocked Comodo Antivirus (Internet Security). When unexpected issues arise with anti-virus software, I generally recommend a reinstall which resolves most problems...unless the product offers a "Repair" option which you can try first.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 vin_012

vin_012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

I have installed the Comodo AV. When I checked the Comodo the next day, it appears the Comodo was no longer blocked. I can see now that you guys are correct that the Windows Defender are doing periodic scans against malwares. Ultimately, the Windows Defender did a great job to detect the malware. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users