Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Longest" BC member that's still active?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:50 PM

Anyone know which member has been around the longest and is still active?

(Except Grinler. :))
Regards, iMacg3

"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:01 PM

I guess that depends on how you define "active".

It's easy to go to the member list and sort by "Join Date," which shows that member 

principessa

is second only to Grinler in length here (no surprise there) but hasn't been active in years.

The answer would differ depending on exactly how you define the cut-off date for "active" working backward from today's date.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:05 PM

Papakid from the titled members and Jercee from the regular members, when active is defined as having logged in in the past month. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 07 September 2017 - 09:11 PM.

#4 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Topic Starter

• 1,034 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:14 AM

britechguy, I consider anyone who's logged in in September "active." :)
Regards, iMacg3

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

britechguy, I consider anyone who's logged in in September "active." :)

Well, in that case, scratch Jercee and add Crofty in terms of longest active BC member who is not titled. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 08 September 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

The oldest I know of is GeorgeHenry who has admitted to being in his eighties but he has only been a member since 2011.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

If that is true, I have never before heard of an older person using a computer. The oldest one I've seen was around 70.:)

#8 iMacg3

iMacg3

Bleepin' 68000

• Topic Starter

• 1,034 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:26 PM

Thanks Just_One_Question. The oldest person I know who uses a computer is a relative at age 90.
(No, I'm not joking. :))
Regards, iMacg3

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:49 PM

If that is true, I have never before heard of an older person using a computer. The oldest one I've seen was around 70. :)

My clients at the local assisted living facility are all older than that.  What interested me is that are the stereotypical "I just read e-mail and browse the web" contingent but there is definitely a contingent that is a lot better skilled than many teens and twenty-somethings.  I hadn't run into any really serious "heavy duty" users in their "golden years" prior to this.  (And I except those who had to engage in really serious computer use as part of the jobs they'd retired from).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, it's technically entirely possible that one meets one of the older folks who have majorly helped in forging the computer business in the 70s and 80s, when they were in their 40s. It's always pretty interesting to me when such a person is present, definitely a minority in this regard. Good for them and the rest, who haven't been engaged with computers in their youth, for having the curiosity, preserved eyesight and patience to learn their way around the Internet.:)

#11 Remotee

Remotee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2018 - 06:27 PM

The comments on this topic are making me feel ancient even though I'm only 96. When I worked at the GE Research Lab, I started using computers  when we only had big IBM monsters and you had to write your own programs using punched cards or paper tape & Fortran. My first personal computer was a Tandy 1000 with, if I remember right, a total memory of only 1 MB.  I have been actively using computers at home ever since starting with DOS and going through all the Windows versions. I have a big problem with a hacker now and I'm hoping this forum will help me out.  Wish me luck!

#12 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 05:50 AM

I appreciate the mention Chris. Today is my birthday (84)

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2018 - 06:28 PM

Well in that case - Happy Birthday GeorgeHenry !  Even if you are a relative youngster.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 05:08 AM

I am amazed that people think that old folks wouldn't use a computer. I was trying to get an old pal of mine to use his computer, and I made the analogy of the internet being like a very large library. Although this limits the uses of a computer, I think it is a start. You have only to look on you tube to see that even complete idiots can use one.

#15 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:50 PM

As i have said elsewhere I help teach in a small voluntary group providing help in the Dark Arts of laptops, tablets and smart phones. We have over the last four or five years had a number of 'students' in their '80s and at least one in their '90s.

Most of these people are never going to become computer gurus but that is not our objective. We try to show them how to get the best out of their devices for what they want to do even if it is only emailing or skyping their grandchildren on the other side of the world. But age is no barrier, and the oldest are not always the slowest learners !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users