Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Linux to use?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

A while back I started a topic and was interested in still using my laptop running XP. This is my original post.

"I have a laptop running xp. In the last year's of it's life it has only been used on vacation for browsing the web and online banking. I haven't used it since Windows stopped offering support for it. Does it have any uses and how do I do it safely. I was thinking maybe I could use it in my garage as shop computer. I would use it to browse the web, stream audio from websites. I would guess I would not/should not do anything that involves logging in? Any suggestions? Do reinstall the OS? Would I be endangering other devices on the network?"

Someone had mentioned Linux.  It seemed overwhelming at the time.  But I have decided that I might give it a try.  I looked at the sticky and went to the Distro Piker.  But I didn't understand many of the questions it was asking.   This is my laptop specs  http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=1011758&isFromTOCLink=false .  

Can anyone recommend one that will work well on my laptop?

Is Linux something that is installed on my laptop in addition to xp or can it be installed alone?

I also want it to be able to connect to an endoscopy camera?

Would it be able to stream movies?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

I recommend you Puppy Linux for your laptop. It can be installed alongside Windows XP on your hard drive.:)

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 08:24 PM

Yeah for such a dinosaur with such low specs then Puppy is best bet.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:04 PM

Hi

I agree Puppy would be best.

Is Linux something that is installed on my laptop in addition to xp or can it be installed alone?

You can run Puppy Linux from CD or USB and this is the best way to run puppy, and it can be installed along side Xp but I wouldn’t bother, Its not worth the hassle.

We will be happy to guide you in the best way to set it up.

Would it be able to stream movies?

Yes.

I also want it to be able to connect to an endoscopy camera?

No idea best case is it recognises the camera as a web cam, worst case it don't work.

My suggestion is Tahrpup.

tahrpup6-desktop-491px.jpg

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tahrpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

Do you need help burning an ISO to CD or USB?

You may need to change boot order in bios, Do you know how to do it?

Welcome to Linux.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 04:58 AM

:welcome: to the Linux & Unix forum at BC.

Couldn't agree more. Puppy will be ideal for this old girl. Linux is 'adaptive', and will adjust itself for whatever hardware set-up it finds.

I triple-boot 3 'Pups' on a much older Dell Inspiron lappie, with a Pentium 4 single-core. Yours has a dual-core, which should work well with it; Intel hardware is very 'Linux-friendly'.

I also run 9 different Puppies on an elderly Compaq Presario desktop PC.....

Puppy loads into, and runs entirely from RAM.....the fastest component of any machine. That's why it's so blindingly fast, even on elderly hardware (and yours isn't actually that old.)

As Nick says, we'll be happy to provide assistance with setting it up, and getting things working. He's quite right; I too would recommend running Puppy from a USB drive. It's entirely self-contained that way, and you can carry it with you, wherever you go! I'd recommend this ISO file; this is a direct link to Tahrpup 6.05 at the Ibiblio 'Puppy' repository:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso

It's around 200 MB in size; much smaller than a Windows install!

Let us know what you'd like to do.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 08 September 2017 - 05:08 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:16 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try puppy this weekend. I'll let you know if I have any questions.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,740 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

Yours has a dual-core, which should work well with it; 

I also run 9 different Puppies on an elderly Compaq Presario desktop PC.....

This should be interesting guys, I'll be watching, well...after my little friend Irma passes over, and hopefully spares me and my computers.

Mike, I think that is just a Single Core Processor though.

Mike, I think you are running a Puppy Mill over there, aren't they illegal in AU? lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

Mike, I think you are running a Puppy Mill over there, aren't they illegal in AU? lol.

Mmm.... I'm in the UK, punk.....but I believe they're illegal here, too..!  :o

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

I got it to work. But have not had anytime to play with it. Is there any recommendations? Like anti-virus etc?

Attached Files

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2017 - 08:16 PM

No anti virus needed on linux :D

As for recommendations I really cant say much as its such a old machine, just broswe casually as you usually do on firefox just expect there to be quirks like no DRM flash or plugins like silverlight.

Edited by MadmanRB, 10 September 2017 - 08:20 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 06:57 PM

Hallo again, raidencmc.

Well... The default browser in Tahrpup is PaleMoon (which is a 'fork' of FireFox; the guys at PaleMoon see this as the direction Mozilla should have taken, instead of pushing FireFox off down the 'Australis' route). Flash needs installing separately, before you can use it. As Madman says, no DRM, no Silverlight. You cannot watch streaming services like Hulu, NetFlix, etc., with PaleMoon. It can't be done. However....

There is hope! I've been a Chrome user since the original release was in 'beta', back in the Autumn of 2007. I maintain the current 64-bit Puppy packages of Chrome for the community. I also have many different versions of the 32-bit releases kicking around.

Google decided to call it a day with the 32-bit release of Chrome 48, back in April of last year. From that point on, you could only use Chrome on a 64-bit system. But 48.0.2564.116, the final Linux release, is still a very good browser; I still use it in all my 32-bit Pups to this day, and have never had any 'nasties' make an appearance. This is in large part due to the robust Linux 'permissions' system, and the Linux firewall. You don't need anti-virus; it only checks for Windows crap anyway, and they won't run under Linux.

But; if you want something a wee bit more up to date, we also package, on the Puppy forums, two other Chromium-based browsers.....FlashPeak's SlimJet browser ( a really excellent alternative to Chrome), and SRWare's Iron browser (which is a dead ringer for Chrome itself). Both will allow you to sign-in to a Google a/c as normal, and will serve up your bookmarks & extensions as expected. Both incorporate the DRM 'WideVine' modules (so you can watch NetFlix, etc.).....as does Chrome itself, from Chrome 37 onwards.

You can find the final release of Linux Chrome at my MediaFire a/c, here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mu8lkgyamznmv12/Google_Chrome-48.0.2564.116-i386.pet

...OscarTalks, who packages 32-bit SlimJet and Iron releases, hosts his here:-

SlimJet:- https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB?force_show=1

Iron:- https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn?force_show=1

Just download, and a single click (no double clicking in Linux, unless you really can't do without it!) will bring up a window asking you to confirm that you wish to install the package. 'OK' it, and in a matter of moments, it will be installed. Because Puppy runs entirely in RAM, it doesn't take long.

This honestly is the easiest way to watch streaming video under Linux. You may, however, find that NetFlix et al are just too much for your hardware. There are limits to what even a featherweight OS can do with such an old machine. Don't raise your expectations too high, and you won't be disappointed.

Oscar and I both use cloud-hosting accounts with different providers, but don't worry; these are perfectly safe to download and to use. By far the majority of the most useful software for Puppy is compiled, or re-packaged, by Puppy forum members, and hosted by them; Pup is a 'do-ocracy'.....those who can, do! There is no central organization dispensing software packages, upgrades, etc., for Puppy in the same way that Canonical, say, do for Ubuntu. We don't have Mark Shuttleworth's bottomless pockets for a start.....so Puppy truly is 'community-driven'.  :thumbup2:

We don't stand to gain anything at all by hosting crap for folks to download. It takes time to gain a reputation for integrity.....and only a matter of moments to lose it!

Anything you want help with, just ask; either in this thread of yours, or over at 'Puppy' Linux Corner.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 11 September 2017 - 07:26 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:07 AM

The 2 issues I have right now is it doesn't consistently boot to Linux on the CD, and I am not exactly sure why it does or doesn't. I do know I hear the CD spinning every time and it is set first in the bios. Sometimes I get windows sometime Linux.
The other issue is I can't see my wireless adapter so I can't connect to my router wirelessly.

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,877 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

Any info on your built in wireless card?

It could be linux unfriendly but if you need to buy a wifi dongle they are not that expensive

Edited by MadmanRB, 20 September 2017 - 02:14 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#14 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

Inprocomm ipn2220 wireless LAN card is what I have

#15 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,315 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

Can we assume this is a mini-PCI/PCMCIA type of card?

Research on Wikidevi as to which devices use this chipset (that is the actual chipset, apparently, not the make & model of adapter) indicates that the devices using it were exclusively that physical design of card. Which invariably means it's a 'generic' design, re-badged for various different customers:-

https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Special:Ask?title=Special%3AAsk&q=%5B%5BChip1+model::~IPN2220*%5D%5D&po=%3FInterface%0D%0A%3FFCC+ID%0D%0A%3FManuf%0D%0A%3FManuf+product+model=Manuf.+mdl%0D%0A%3FVendor+ID%0D%0A%3FDevice+ID%0D%0A%3FSubvendor+ID%0D%0A%3FSubdevice+ID%0D%0A%3FChip1+model%0D%0A%3FChip2+model%0D%0A%3FSupported+802dot11+protocols=PHY+modes%0D%0A%3FOUI%0D%0A%3FEstimated+year+of+release=Est.+year&eq=yes&p%5Bformat%5D=broadtable&order%5B0%5D=ASC&sort_num=&order_num=ASC&p%5Blimit%5D=500&p%5Boffset%5D=&p%5Blink%5D=all&p%5Bsort%5D=&p%5Bheaders%5D=show&p%5Bmainlabel%5D=&p%5Bintro%5D=&p%5Boutro%5D=&p%5Bsearchlabel%5D=%E2%80%A6+further+results&p%5Bdefault%5D=&p%5Bclass%5D=sortable+wikitable+smwtable

Unfortunately, following the links from all of those devices listed shows that there isn't a Linux driver of any sort available for any of them. Which indicates it is unsupported. End of story.

(Madman? This one is definitely 'Linux-unfriendly'..!  :lol: )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That leaves the option mentioned above; get yourself a plug-in wireless adapter. There's tons out there, and many of us have our personal favourites we can recommend. If you want a PCMCIA ('Cardbus'-style) adapter, I can recommend this one:-

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WPN511-RangeMax-Wireless-Card/dp/B0007OWNC2

The NetGear 'Rangemax' WPN-511 PCMCIA 'Cardbus' adapter. The design is donkey's years old; nobody wants 'em anymore, so they're as cheap as chips, and you can pick 'em up online still in the manufacturer's packaging, untouched and as-new. The Atheros chipset is supported by the ath5k driver, which has been in the kernel since, like, forever.

This one will, quite simply, work. Period. Or, if you want a USB one, there's this:-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NETGEAR-N300-Wireless-Mini-USB-Adapter-WNA3100M-/222575932044?epid=150759282&hash=item33d28f328c:g:9mYAAOSwCAJZYnqk

The NetGear WNA-3100M dual-band USB wireless adapter. It's a bit pricier, but it'll work in everything you plug it into, I can guarantee it. (And no, I'm not getting a back-hander from NetGear to promote their stuff; I just happen to have great respect for their gear. It's well-built; it works fine, has a good range, stays connected.....and it doesn't run hot.)

The RealTek chipset's rtl8192cu driver has been in the kernel for at least 4 years, minimum.

You can probably find it cheaper if you 'shop around'. I use both of these myself, so I'm speaking from experience.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 September 2017 - 03:39 PM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users