Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which drive should i scan for my deleted files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Resilo

Resilo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:50 PM

so i am attempting to retrieve some files i deleted a while back

im familiar with several different scanning programs but just for confirmation

i deleted files that where located on my HDD however my computer runs windows from a SSD and uses a HDD as storage

from your experience would i have better luck finding the files by scanning the SSD or the HDD

the main thing im wondering is if the files would have gone to a recycle bin on my SSD or just completely deleted as it was a larger folder with some larger files

Edited by Resilo, 07 September 2017 - 06:51 PM.

A little information for anyone curious

I am a novice computer technician.

my education is a diploma level in Network Systems Administration.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 07 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

You would scan the actual device on which the data had been stored.

If the files were on the SSD then scan the SSD, and if on the HDD then scan the HDD.  Based on what you've said, scan the HDD.  Have you checked the Recycle Bin first?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2017 - 12:10 PM

as long as you don't use <shift> + Del (permanently deletes files bypassing the recycle bin) then all files should go to your recycle bin.  but if it's been a long time then your recycle bin may have removed older files due to space available to save the newer files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users